Saturday, January 27, 2018

Budget Week Marches On

I had to take a picture of my morning smoothie by my twenty nine cent flowers! A week and a day later they are still prettying up my counter! Best twenty nine cents ever! My smoothie ha half an avocado, frozen cherries, flax meal, maca powder and banana. I learned not to add too much flax to a smoothie or it gets a thick egg replacer quality I don't care for.
I also had some more enchilada casserole which I forgot to snap. Again I had it cold and on it's third day it definitely wasn't the prettiest.
For dinner I had some mashed potatoes and gravy. I made my potatoes with lite coconut milk and I also added some grated horseradish and nooch. Adding horseradish to mashed potatoes is one of my favorite things in the world! When you add just the right amount it just gives this little hint in the background. Delicious!
Yesterday I mentioned sauces and condiments are your best friend when you're on a budget. I also wanted to mention fresh herbs and scallions. Usually stores have scallions for two for a dollar, and same with fresh cilantro so spend a dollar and get one of both. They do a lot to not only liven up the flavor, but a little extra green can make a super plain meal look a little fancier and we eat with our eyes too right? I actually forgot both this week and I'm feeling that void.
It's another Caturday morning and of course bird and squirrel watching is going on! You can't see her but Kanye is waiting patiently for her turn! Roxy can't be bothered and is sleeping on the couch in the living room!


4 comments:

  1. That's amazing how long those flowers are lasting for you! I've been having a lot of mashed potatoes and gravy recently; yours looks great! So cute how the kitties take turns at the window! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't believe how long they're lasting. And for twenty nine cents!!
      Mashed potatoes and gravy are the best! I still need to make your mushroom gravy. I might need to fit mushrooms in the budget next week!

      Delete
  2. I haven't ever thought to add horseradish to mashed potatoes, but it makes a lot of sense and sounds great, I must try it! Just the jarred horseradish? Or did you find some fresh? I hardly ever see it fresh over here, and when I do it is $$$.
    Your flowers are so beautiful, they are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes...a BIG ASS BOWL of Mashed Potatoes - just makes the world a better place :)

    ReplyDelete