Monday, January 15, 2018

Some Stuff I've Been Eating and Drinking

Here is a gluten free carrot cake with vegan cream cheese frosting I made last week. The cake was a mix given to me by a neighbor along with the angel food cake mix I made last week. I added shredded carrot and also some crushed pineapple which was suggested in the instructions. It was so moist and you definitely could not tell this was gluten free. I was super proud of the frosting because I have never made cream cheese frosting vegan or not. Most recipes I found online included vegan butter, and I do my best to avoid palm oil so earth balance is out and Miyokos butter was not in the budget this week. So I just mixed tofutti cream cheese with some powdered sugar in my food processor an hoped for the best! I think it turned out pretty well, especially for my first time.
I've also been enjoying this Newman's Own organics dark chocolate. It's more on the milk chocolate side of dark chocolate and I love it so much!
This is an ugly but delicious dish I made up with odds and ends I had laying around. I made a stew with potatoes, cabbage, carrots, onion and celery and made some gluten free dumplings. I had a little bit of butternut squash puree that I added to the dumpling dough. Like a hug in a bowl!
As always I've been eating lots of potatoes. These are Creole seasoned fries with awesomesauce for dipping. I can't recommend awesomesauce enough.
I am not a fan of beets but they are so so good for you, an are also supposed to be naturally energizing so I made myself some beet, pineapple and lime juice. I find pineapple and lime are the best combo for cutting that earthy flavor of beets. Since my body is really resisting my late night hours, I've gotten into a bad habit of having a cup of coffee at work. I used to be a serious coffee addict and I don't want to go down that path again.
Still doing lots of smoothies. This one had banana, hemp seeds, acai, frozen cherries and spinach. We've been having a super mild winter so far here in SLC so smoothies have been on the menu!
Last night I had a sushi bowl minus the usual seaweed snacks. I'm going to have the other half of the avocado in today's smoothie.
I had a rough night at work last night. I fought off a major cloud of depression all day before going to work, an it was one rude customer after another. It took all of my human strength to not walk out. I found a coworker to work for me today. I need a personal day so I don't do something I regret. So today I'm going to tinker in the kitchen an try to get myself in better spirits.
I'm sure these goofballs will help cheer me up. The squirrel who teases/taunts them came by this morning. Poor Etta was getting climbed over by Joan who so badly wants to get it!









14 comments:

  1. I’m practically drooling over that cake! It looks fantastic!

    The other day I picked up a 5lb bag of organic potatoes for $2.99 at Natural Grocers, and I thought of you and our mutual love for this veggie!

    I’m so glad you are taking care of yourself! Our fur babies are always good for cuddles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was so good! I haven't had carrot cake since I've been vegan, and hadn't had it for awhile before that! I already want another one!
      Potatoes are the best!
      My girls definitely helped with the blues yesterday!!

      Delete
  2. That cake looks really awesome! And the frosting is alll about the cream cheese.
    The beet juice combo sounds really good-the beets do need some citrus to balance that specific flavor. I like to add a tiny pinch of salt and some black pepper to beet based juices too.
    My friend just had to quit coffee and instead now has a cider vinegar/lemon juice shot first thing in the morning- and yeah, that will certainly wake you up!!

    I'm glad you took a day for yourself, sometimes a bit of perspective and rest can make a world of difference
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try a pinch of salt an pepper. I definitely have to have some kind of citrus with beet juice!
      I was drinking ACV shots for awhile and stopped for some reason. Maybe I'll pick it up again and see if it helps with energy levels.
      I'm glad I took the day too.

      Delete
  3. I hope you have a healing day off. I don't understand why people are so rude!!! Somedays we have so many jerk clients, it is such a blow to the spirit. I hope kitties cheer you up!

    Your food look amazing, but that soup looks particularly delicious and comforting. I am still on the lookout for awesomesauce here, though sadly am yet to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know why people are sometimes the worst!! It's something I've wondered for most of my life! But the kitties always cheer me up!
      The stew and dumplings were so comforting. A really perfect winter food!

      Delete
  4. All your food looks great, especially that carrot cake, yum! I'm glad you got a day off; hopefully it was nice & relaxing! Your kitties are so cute in the window! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carrot cake was so good! It's been a million years since I've had it what a treat!

      Delete
  5. That carrot cake looks seriously incredible! I'm so glad that you got to enjoy a delicious, decadent treat that is still gluten free! I'm sure that is very satisfying for your soul. I'm sorry that you had a bad day at work but I hope that you were able to take some time for yourself and heal your soul a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think carrot cakes are perfect to make gluten free because all the fruit helps keep it so moist you woul never be able to tell!
      Thank you. My soul feels a little bit better.

      Delete
  6. I want a piece of that carrot cake. Like, seriously. Right now.

    I think you frosted it when it was still just a bit warm so the frosting is melty perfection. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want more of it too! I waited till it was mostly cool, but I probably should have waited a bit longer. But I kind of like the meltiness of it all!

      Delete
  7. WOW! Your baking attempts have been stellar! AWESOME! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks awesome! You've been busy baking lately! Just FYI (since I know you care about these things) as much as I love Tofutti cream cheese, the non-hydrogenated cream cheese uses palm oil (or some part of the palm fruit) and Earth Balance is a little more transparent about where they source their palm fruit than Tofutti. BUT if you still are craving some cream cheese have you tried any of the recipes that use cashews? I think a cup of cashews would still use less than the price of Miyoko's butter:
    http://makingthymeforhealth.com/vegan-banana-carrot-bread-cashew-cream-cheese-icing/

    And I think they are discontinuing the Awesomesauce!!! I was at the store the other day and saw that the awesomesauce was on sale! I was excited but got close and saw that there weren't any bottles left and there was the words discontinued on the sales ticket! I hope they just mean they aren't carrying it anymore.

    ReplyDelete