Friday, January 26, 2018

Saucy Spicy Budget Vegan

I had another delicious smoothie yesterday morning. This had frozen cherries, flax meal, half an avocado, maca powder and banana. This kept me full for awhile thanks to the avocado. Later in the day I had some leftover enchilada casserole. I forgot to take a picture, but it wasn't pretty. I didn't even heat it up!! But it's kind of like spaghetti and pizza, good hot or cold!
I've had a jar of tandoori spice paste in my fridge for a super long time. Last night I decided to use it on some potatoes and tofu. First I rubbed it on some potato and tofu chunks and let that marinate for about an hour. Then I added a can of coconut milk in place of plain yogurt, put foil over the baking dish and baked for about an hour. It came out tangy and delicious!
I served it with some Jasmine rice an enjoyed every last bite! I don't think I've ever had tandoori anything to be honest!
If you are on a budget, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to have a decent spice, sauce and condiment collection. It can change up your meals and keep simple foods interesting. I eat a lot of the same things. Tofu, potatoes rice and beans because they are inexpensive, and also I like them of course! But I'm able to not get bored because I make different things and add different seasonings and sauces. Look for places that sell bulk spices because you can get as little or much as you want and it's sooooo much cheaper. And look for sauces and condiments everywhere. Dollar stores and places like Big Lots are great places to find cheap condiments.
This is definitely not on the budget challenge, but I've had this for awhile now in my chocolate drawer and last night I had to have a couple of squares. It's soooooo good! The chocolate is creamy and melts easily on your tongue and it has just the right amount of salt. Delicious!
Kanye was laying on her favorite heat vent and as soon as she saw me looking at her she started to pose and show her belly which she knows I cannot resist. Notice her little mouse is nearby for those lazy plays!





8 comments:

  1. Yum! That tofu & potato dish sounds awesome. And great tip on the sauces, condiments. I'm always so impressed by how much variety you're able to get out of potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how delicious tandoori spice is! I do know how to keep potatoes interesting!

      Delete
  2. Theos chocolate is one of my favourite brands! Of course, we cannot get it here. I like their salty one a lot. They also do a dark one with quinoa in it that is awesome, dark, crunchy goodness. I think that it my favourite of the flavours that I have tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've had the quinoa one before and I really liked it! It reminded me of a Nestle crunch or something like that.

      Delete
  3. Yay for delicious smoothies, and your tandoori potatoes & tofu looks great, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like a great smoothie! The tandoori tofu and potatoes were great. I need to use that spice more often!!

      Delete
  4. Really amazing looking budget meals! I am also really impressed by how far you can stretch the same ingredients and how much variety you have in terms of ways you prepare them! Everything always looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think I've been trying to be a little more creative with this challenge, but also I like different flavors!

      Delete