Thursday, January 31, 2019

Sweet Potato Green Chili Cheese Sauce

I've been really loving using raw sunflower seeds in place of cashews for creamy sauces. So far I've made a plain sunflower seed Alfredo, a roasted garlic cauliflower and sunflower seed Alfredo and last night I made a sweet potato cheese sauce using sunflower seeds for that extra creaminess. I'm really happy with the results and raw sunflower seeds are so much cheaper than cashews!!
Green Chili Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce!

Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce
  • 1/2 C. Raw Sunflower Seeds Soaked
  • 1 Med. Large Sweet Potato Peeled, Cubed and Boiled
  • 3/4 to 1 Cup water
  • 3 Tsp, Tahini
  • 1/2 Tsp. Salt
  • 1/4 Tsp. Pepper
  • 1/4 Cup Nutritional Yeast
  • 1 4 Oz, Can Fire Roasted green Chili
Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until you have a nice thick but pourable cheese sauce. I probably ended up using a little over one cup of water.
Why are you so blurry?
I mixed the sauce with some gluten free elbows and black beans and topped it with green dragon sauce. The sauce was thick and creamy and didn't taste like sweet potatoes. The green chili aren't spicy, but if you have a low tolerance you could use half a can to start, and then see if you want more.
This sauce would also be great in burritos or as a dip!



8 comments:

  1. Yum, I love the idea of a sweet potato cheese sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really tasty and didn't taste like sweet potato!

      Delete
  2. Hey - kudos to you for finding a way to enjoy those sweet potatoes. I'm like you - not a big fan of them. Honestly, I'm not partial to any "sweet" veggies. Don't love carrots either. I pretty much always keep my sweet and savoury foods separate. Like, please don't put raisins in my curry or biryani. Yucky. So sweet potatoes kind of fall into that category. Not proper supper food, but not dessert food either.

    But that cheese sauce looks pretty darn good. Since I'm almost out of nooch, I'll be heading to WF this weekend. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree about sweet and savory! Like I cannot imagine a pineapple on a pizza! The only exception to the sweet and savory is chocolate covered pretzels or chips. That is a sweet and salty combo that works!
      Good luck at Whole Foods!!!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, yum, that sauce looks amazing! I'll definitely have to try it sometime; your cheese sauces are always so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this. It didn't taste like sweet potato, and it was really thick and creamy. And the leftovers were great too!

      Delete
  4. That caption makes me laugh! I usually take four or five photos of everything to ensure a clear shot and sometimes it still doesn't work. WHY!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I took so many pictures of that mac and cheese and they all came out looking so weird!!!! It's so frustrating!!

      Delete