Sunday, January 27, 2019

Way Out of my Zone!!

Every time I'm at Trader Joe's I look at these vegetables. And every time there is an employee noticing me staring, they tell me how delicious they are, especially the sauce. This has been going on for months. I finally decide to be brave and try them. Although they turned out to be not my favorite, I'm proud of myself for trying something new and very outside of my comfort zone!
I had some rice leftover, so I stir fried the veggies for a few minutes, added the rice, cooked for a few more minutes and then added the sauce. It was a really easy dinner that took under ten minutes to throw together!! I also added some frozen edamame. The veggie mix has broccoli, green beans, sugar snap peas, carrot, red pepper, water chestnuts, and baby corn.
The sauce that comes with the veggies is amazing. It's thick and a little sweet. Really, really good. For me the veggie mix is not my favorite. I don't like cooked bell pepper, and I prefer sugar snap peas to be raw too. And then the baby corn. I forgot that I really can't stand baby corn! But the rest of the veggies are great, and if you like cooked red peppers and sugar snap peas you will probably love this!
Kiki wedged herself into a cuddle pile. Look at her face, she looks pretty dang happy with herself!!



7 comments:

  1. There are some veggies that aren't very good to me if frozen and/or if not cut the way I would prefer. Peppers is one. So I sympathize.

    Good for you for trying something new, though! I know what you mean about looking at stuff for months before you get it. I've got my eye on some vegan ravioli in the freezer section at Wegmans but who knows when I'll actually try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I like to cut veggies the way I like them. And some frozen veggies just don't work for me, like frozen Brussels sprouts.Yuk!
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who takes a long time to decide to try some things!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you tried something new!! I’m with you on preferring sugar snap peas raw-although i love baby corn I can’t deal with frozen carrots, as in i pick them out which is saying a lot.
    The fried rice combo sounds tasty!
    Do you ever buy the Soyaki at TJ’s? I’m the biggest fan of that stuff, like a soy sesame teriyaki kind of thing- it would be awesome for fried rice.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seal with frozen Brussels sprouts! Frozen carrots aren't my favorite either, but these were shredded so it was okay!
      I love the soyaki! I'm actually mad at myself because I forgot to grab some!!

      Delete
  3. That's great that you finally satisfied your curiosity! I know what you mean about certain veggies not tasting great cooked and baby corn is an abomination. It does look like a delicious meal though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad the sauce was good! And now you know how you feel about it. I like baby corn, but not if it is frozen. It gets weirdly soggy while still crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer you can't buy the sauce separately. I love bell peppers and snap peas cooked, but I have a bunch of snap peas from my CSA that froze to eat later.

    ReplyDelete