Monday, January 21, 2019

A Little Haul, A Little Meal and A Little Cuddle!

I remember when I was a kid I thought it was so lame to go through the weekly grocery ads and look for coupons and sales. But that's the luxury of childhood, it's not your money paying for the food! As an adult I look through those weekly ads to see where I'm going. I suggest looking at those ads to anyone on a budget. It can help cut down on time if you know right where to go.
Last week I wasn't able to afford a lot of fresh fruit and veg, but luckily for me Sprouts is having a great sale on produce! I know I've said it before but Sprouts has a bit of a reputation for being expensive, and on certain fancy specialty items they are, but those items are expensive everywhere! They have great deals on produce, and their bulk items are very fairly priced, including their spices. Actually their bulk spices are cheaper than Winco!!
Carrots, Romaine, green onions,cuties, lemon lime probiotic soda, purple sweet potatoes,avocados, sweet mini peppers, tofu,lemons,onion,coconut milk,Jasmine rice

I got the sweet peppers and tofu at Smith's everything else at Sprouts. I just can't buy tofu from Sprouts after the exploding tofu incident of 2018! I spent around twenty dollars total. Not bad right? It would have only been around sixteen dollars, but the live probiotic soda was on sale and I treated myself!
I love this stuff so much. It's sweetened with monk fruit extract so it has no sugar! The sodas are a lot like Live beverages kombucha just a little smoother.
I have been craving salad so much!! You always want what you can't have. Since I got my hands on some vegetables, I made a big salad of Romaine, sweet mini peppers,avocado and baked tofu. I made a sweet chili peanut dressing. This was heaven in a bowl. And because of the tofu and peanut sauce, it was hearty and filling. Not to mention a lot of protein!
The cuddle is real!



13 comments:

  1. It's so funny what we rolled our eyes at when we were young and what we have become to adore when we get older! We had a similar conversation during the holidays...we hated getting socks and underwear as a kid for Christmas but now as adults we actually wish and hope someone would gift us socks and underwear! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great little haul. I can understand your reluctance to revisit the Sprouts tofu after the explosion! It is summer here, and I am loving salads with tofu in them. Peanut sauce would be an excellent addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tofu on salads is really so good. An the peanut dressing made it! I bought a bottled peanut dressing once and it was so thin. I like it a little on the thicker side!

      Delete
  3. That all seems like a great deal for about $20! I think shopping anywhere can be affordable if you know what they sell at a good price vs other stores. Yay for salad!!
    Recently my favorite iceburg lettuce got stupid expensive and i swapped to that softer fluffy leaf nappa cabbage for salads and have been very into it! Great when shredded super thin and tasty stir fried or in soups. Romaine still makes me nervous!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really like Napa cabbage. I like it in spring rolls and also to use like a lettuce wrap. Unfortunately for me cruciferous veggies are best cooked.
      I feel okay about Romaine, but I will only buy it from Sprouts or Trader Joe's. I don't know why but I trust them a little more.

      Delete
  4. I've been using the sales circular from my local store a lot lately and my meal planning is now shaped by what's on sale. You do what you have to sometimes! I don't blame you for getting the soda you love. That's why we scrimp--so we can have the good life every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not ashamed to use the sales flyer! I o the same thing, I look at the as and then think about what I want to eat based on what I have and the sales.
      I feel lucky that I was able to get some veggies and the soda! I'm living like a queen this week!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! It really hit the spot. All last week I was dying for a salad!!

      Delete
  6. That salad sounds amazing! I've never thought to have peanut sauce as a dressing but count me in! I wish I could find those sodas, I've been really wanting to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good as a dressing!
      I hope you can find the sodas sometime too! They're really, really good!!

      Delete
  7. A salad with peanut sauce and tofu sounds amazing; I'll definitely have to try that sometime! Cute little cuddlers!

    ReplyDelete