Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Pasta Fail

I have been wanting to try red lentil pasta for awhile now. I've tried chickpea and yellow lentil pasta and they're okay, not my favorite but not my least favorite either. A couple of people I watch on YouTube have mentioned that red lentil spaghetti is their favorite gluten free pasta. I've been wanting to try it, but it's pretty pricey and I definitely wanted to hit a sale! Sprouts happened to have Pow pasta on sale so I grabbed a box of red lentil linguini.
Even though this was on sale, the box only contains 8 oz. I understand that bean pasta is more filling because of the protein, but if you have a family of say three or four, you're not feeding them on one box. And the sale price was $2.99. So their sale was still a splurge to me.
The directions on the box said to cook for eight to ten minutes. After four minutes the pot looked like lentil soup and the noodles were falling apart, but also not cooked all the way. I let them go one more minute, gave up and drained them. They had turned into a mushy clump that was sticking together like a yarn ball and it was impossible to stir my sauce all the way into the noodles because they were breaking all over the place.
I made a really delicious cauliflower and sunflower seed Alfredo. The sauce turned out so well but it deserved a better pasta. I had to just kind of pour the sauce over the noodle clump and eat it almost like soup. Very disappointing. But the sauce almost made up for it!!








10 comments:

  1. The sauce sounds and looks delicious but that is so incredibly disappointing about the pasta - especially since it was a splurge item! I hope you'll make the sauce again and try it with some pasta that deserves that deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will have it again with a much, much better pasta!

      Delete
  2. I totally know what you mean about the sauces making up for it sometimes! This still looks and sounds great! Sorry the pasta wasn't awesome, tho! On to the next! There will be one out there you will find and LOVE...I am sure of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a few gluten free pastas I like, but they're all short shapes. I have yet to find a gluten free long pasta that I like.

      Delete
  3. Well considering it’s expensive even on sale maybe it’s just as well it wasn’t awesome...? Glad you had a tasty sauce for it at least!
    I think TJs has a gf lentil and brown rice pasta as well as gf red lentil pasta- i tried the red lentil pasta before and wanna say it’s like 12oz or so, i remember it was tasty enough.
    Was your water at a full boil when you added the pasta? I’ve had clumping problems before when there wasn’t enough water or it wasn’t at a full boil
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha you're so right. Because sometimes when I try things when they're on sale it's kind of sad because I know I won't be able to have them often afterwards!
      My water was at a full boil. I always follow the directions exactly with gluten free pasta because it's more finicky than regular.

      Delete
  4. That is a very sad thing about the pasta, it doesn't sound appealing at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When this sort of thing happens to me, I like to consider it a victory. I tried it! Also, the box is small so you don't have more to get through! It is frustrating, though.

    I'm just not a gluten free pasta person, and I think that's great, actually, because regular pasta can be gotten on sale here for 50 cents per pound.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Complain to the company! Maybe you can get a refund, or free coupons to give it another try. Maybe there was something wrong with that batch? The sauce looks pretty yummy at least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike!! I emailed them, and they sent me two coupons for a free box of pasta. They also make the Ancient grains quinoa pasta which I like.
      The sauce was pretty great!

      Delete