Saturday, January 26, 2019

Rollin Greens Millet Tots

I look at these millet tots every time I'm in Whole Foods. Who doesn't love tots? The problem is these are pretty pricey, and in the same freezer are traditional potato tots for a fraction of the cost so...
But, the other day I ran into Whole Foods for my favorite orange cleaner and I noticed these were on sale so I just had to try them. I have over a year of curiosity brewing over these tots!
The first thing I noticed when I opened the box was a wonderful onion-y smell, even frozen. Onion flakes are the second ingredient after millet so it makes sense. I popped them in the oven for about twelve minutes and they came out golden and crispy, and the onion smell was even more inviting. I knew these were going to be good.
Look at how golden and crispy they are!
So the inside of the tot isn't exactly the same as a potato tot, but this is still definitely a tot! Crispy exterior, soft interior. But these are so much more flavorful! I really love the onion flavor, and I really like the texture.
I had some for dinner the other night with a big salad and some carrot sriracha hummus. The tots were excellent dipped in the hummus by the way!
Bottom line, I love them. I'm going to Whole Foods today to get more while they're on sale because these aren't in my budget. Even their sale is still more of a splurge to me but they're worth it!
They only have five ingredients too! Millet, onion flake, granulated onion, seal salt and sunflower oil. And because of the millet you're getting some protein, iron and potassium.
Here is their website. They seem to be a vegan company from what I can see. And they have quite a few really creative recipes for using the tots and they all seem to be vegan. Either way I really, really love these tots!



15 comments:

  1. Hey dude, thanks for the tots info! I might be hitting up WF this weekend (but then again, I might chicken out) and if so, I think I'll check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to get more yesterday, but I was scared too. I'm going to go on a weekday!!
      They're so good, I hope you love them!

      Delete
  2. The tots sound so good and that salad is gorgeous! Perfect balance. I'm definitely going to have to check out the tots and the recipes that use them! I'm so curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have some really interesting recipes! Stuff I would have never thought to do with tots!!

      Delete
  3. This whole "tots" phenomenon has got me thinking about a sketch they do on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. I should start by saying that I never watch that show and, actually, he kind of annoys me, but they post the various versions of the sketch on YouTube. And while I've never watched the YouTube clips either, I kind of get the gist. So far they've done "Will it Tea?" "Will it Hummus?" and "Will it S'More?" Basically they take random foods and see if they can make them into tea, hummus, s'mores or whatever. I assume they choose ridiculous things for the humor value. However, I propose the next episode should be "Will it Tot?" I mean, seriously, potato, cauliflower, broccoli and now MILLET...what next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I feel the same way about him. I actually used to really love him on SNL, but he's just too much for me now. Like he's become a caricature of himself.
      It is crazy all the things they tot nowadays!

      Delete
  4. I keep wanting to try millet. In tot form would definitely be a good introduction!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried making millet once and it did not go well. I've added it to soups before, but honestly I'll just have it in tot form!

      Delete
  5. These sound like they would be really good! A separate entity to potato gems (I just love potato, I know you understand), but a fun way to enjoy the grain! I have never seen anything like that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very different thing than our beloved potato, but they definitely deserve recognition!!

      Delete
  6. What a great find! Although I’m surprised they have such a string onion flavor, i think a lot of customers would not be expecting that.
    I actually made broccoli tots once last year, it was a little fussy but really easy, basically just mashed potatoes and chopped fine broccoli mixed and shaped and baked after spraying with a little oil to help crisp. Ended up like those dr praeger patties soft texture inside
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The onion flavor is very unusual for tots, but it's so great. And it does say onion flake on the box. They're so delicious I hope no one is unpleasantly surprised!
      I have been wanting to try and make potato and broccoli tots. It's on my list!

      Delete
    2. The potato broccoli tots are so easy! Actually would be even easier if you like frozen chopped broccoli cuz you can use that and just steam and squeeze out extra moisture. It’s easier to shape into tots if you put the mix in the fridge an hour or so first. It’s a good cold afternoon indoors kind of thing ;)
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  7. They look so good.They look pretty much the same texture as the cauliflower tots.Crispy outside but slightly mushy inside.I'm totally addicted to the cauliflower ones so I'm definitely hoping to come across the millet somewhere.Thanks posting.You always find the craziest stuff.So intetesting:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a cauliflower tot, but yes they are crispy outside and slightly mushy inside. Really, really tasty.
      I've only seen these at Whole Foods. I hope you can find them too. They have a few different flavors too.

      Delete