Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Monday Eats

I love the color of pink grapefruit an carrot juice! I know that might sound like a weird combo, but it's really tasty. It's that time of year when I just want to get in all the vitamin c I can. I swear it seems like every single human I've interacted with in the past week or so has had some kind of sniffle, cough or wheeze. Or they're right in the middle of "the worst flu ever!" I want to just live in a cloud of hand sanitizer!
Sprouts has been offering avocados two for one dollar, so I have a lot of avocados right now! I had this beauty with just a little pink salt for a snack. I always eat avocados with something, I forget how delicious they are all alone!
I also had some leftover sunflower Alfredo for breakfast/early lunch. I just ate it cold and forgot to take a picture.
I found a new super simple and really, really tasty meal! I made coconut rice and beans or peas. I used this recipe. I just used coconut oil to saute the onion and garlic. I also added a little crushed red pepper for heat. The fat from the coconut oil and milk gave the rice such a nice flavor and made it so satisfying!! I thought maybe it was going to be bland, or taste too much like coconut and nothing else but it was perfect. This is definitely going to be in the regular rotation. Make room potato curry!
These were blowing up Instagram last week so I made sure to grab a package at Trader Joe's. I don't think I've ever had sunflower butter cups because the brands I've seen all have dairy or honey in them. These are only $.99 at Trader Joe's which is a deal! They're pretty good. They remind me of a Justin's cup but a little different because of the sunflower seed butter. I also think they're a little more generous with the nut or I guess seed butter which I like. I will definitely buy these again!





10 comments:

  1. Ooooh what great and color meals. The juice really is a beautiful color and that bowl looks incredible! I'm going to have to try that recipe because it sounds delicious. I've seen the sunflower butter cups all over too! I'm going to have to get over there and grab some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really recommend the recipe. It's so good I'm already going to make it again tomorrow!!I've been craving it already! And honestly it's almost as easy as making plain rice.
      The sunflower cups are so good. And the price is definitely right!

      Delete
  2. I haven’t been to TJs lately but I’m totally excited for those sunflower cups!!
    Obviously i have to make that coconut rice- i looove coconut rice from thai restaurants but usually it’s weird sweet. The markets in my neighborhood all sell pigeon peas! I’m in harlem and there’s a significant jamaican population, i’ve actually seen canned pigeon peas in coconut milk and was like....???..... mystery solved! I tried them but I don’t think i ever cooked enough thinking they were like other canned beans and already “done”.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The recipe is so freaking good. Honestly, I had some doubts and thought maybe I'd be disappointed but I'm already going to make it again tomorrow!
      I've never had pigeon peas, but I think if you used those the dish would be more authentic!

      Delete
  3. What an AMAZING price on Avocado! WOW! And that juice looks great! Wish I had some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sad the sale is over. I wish avocados were easier to store because I would have bout so many!!

      Delete
  4. That juice sounds really great! I love grapefruit juice, but sometimes it is too acidic for me. Mixing it with carrot would add a nice earthiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The carrot definitely helps mellow out the grapefruit. I really enjoy it and I always feel a little mood lift after I have it.

      Delete
  5. OMG I gotta get those sunflower seed cups! I mean for buck I think they are cheaper than the vegan peanut versions!

    Wolfie has been all about avocado lately. They were on sale so I got a bunch, and I barely been able to eat any because of him! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I really can't believe the price! Especially because the sunflower seed cups are usually even more expensive than the vegan peanut butter cups!
      That's great that he loves avocados so much!!

      Delete