Friday, June 1, 2018

The Mighty Lentil

I've been watching Cheap Lazy Vegan's channel on YouTube for at least four or five years now.  She always makes the most delicious looking food with really simple and well cheap ingredients. A few weeks ago she was eating a vegan Bibimbap bowl with lentils that she had marinated in Korean BBQ sauce. I haven't been able to stop thinking about those lentils or that bowl since! I picked up some Korean style BBQ sauce when I did my shop at Trader Joe's and last night I finally satisfied my craving!
I just cooked the lentils in the morning, drained them and then let them sit in a bowl with the sauce all day. I made some extra sauce with the BBQ sauce, gochujang and a little tamari to thin it out. I stirred that into the rice and veggies when I stirred it all together.
This was so incredibly delicious!! I've always made my Bibimbap bowls with tofu as the protein, but these lentils were a million times better to be honest!! I love this dish because each bite is full of different textures, temperatures and flavors. And veggies, protein and carbs what more could you ask for??

I think I liked the tomato basil flavor better than the sriracha on these lentil chips. I was disappointed in the sriracha flavor because to me they weren't spicy. But these had a great tomato basil flavor and are great alone or with chips.


3 comments:

  1. I love love love the Cheap Lazy Vegan! A while back I tried to re-create her spicy Korean soup with soft tofu. Unfortunately, I was unable to find that tube of tofu she always uses, but a tub of silken tofu worked fine. And I tell ya, that sh*t was delicious. The Bibimbap looks equally good. What kind of BBQ sauce did you use? Trader Joe's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Trader Joe's Korean style BBQ sauce. It's made with gochujang and it's delicious! It's also great as a sauce for cauliflower wings.

      Delete
  2. What a fun meal! They served us bibimbap on flights to/from my work trips to korea and china (without the beef and egg it was vegan!) and it was seriously tasty. Although that was like four bibimbap meals in like ten days so it took a while afterwards before I wanted it again!
    Usually there is a little toasted sesame oil added ontop at the end as a condiment snd sometimes crumbled toasted seaweed too. I loved the various veggie banchan used since there really is a great mix of textures and flavors.
    Such a fun idea to use lentils!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete