Sunday, June 17, 2018

What I Ate Greens Edition

I started my day off with this beautiful green juice made with pineapple, baby broccoli, fresh turmeric root, and some Romaine hearts. This was good, but I forgot how strong Romaine is. It's weird how it's mild in a salad, but juice it and it turns super grassy.
I also had a strawberry, nectarine, mango and banana smoothie but I drank it all down with no picture. I'm really trying to give my body a lot of nutrients and love so I can get out of this rut I've been in. Although I love my green smoothies, fruit smoothies are such a treat!
I was wanting something different for dinner, and I had some lentils marinating in Korean style BBQ sauce, but I was also kind of wanting sushi or sushi burritos, so thanks to Google I came up with this very inauthentic version of Gimbap, or a Korean sushi roll. I just made a Gimbap burrito with the lentils, some Romaine and green onion. I made a gochujang dipping sauce and this was AMAZING!! It was pretty messy and maybe best for solo meals, but so delicious! It was different flavors and temperatures in each bite, and the sauce was spicy and a little sweet. One of the differences between sushi and gimbap is the rice. Rice vinegar is stirred into sushi rice giving it a slight sweetness, and toasted sesame oil is stirred into the rice for gimbap making it very savory.


This is a total out of order post in terms of food! I almost forgot about this beauty I had for lunch. I toasted an Ezekiel English muffin in the oven and spread some perfectly ripe avocado on top with  salt, pepper and of course nooch. I haven't had avocado toast in so long, is it even still a thing??  This was amazing and worth the gluten cheat!
I also finished these green grapes that have been my work snack. These were excellent grapes from Sprouts. Crisp, tart and a little sweet.
This post makes me feel a little better, I may eat a lot of beige meals but I  also eat a lot of green. It's all a balance right? Sometimes scrolling through Instagram can make you feel really horrible. People always having fresh vibrant beautiful organic meals while I can barely muster the energy to heat up some tater tots!




10 comments:

  1. K, do NOT ever think someone’s instagram is real life!! It’s what they pick and choose to edit/crop/recolor/photoshop and share. All it means is the beige food doesn’t get posted.
    Comparing yourself to a fake reality is just never going to end well
    Glad this is making you feel better, certainly looks like a great way to cram in lots of nutrients. Romaine and celery can seriously take over any green juice! Great idea with the gimbap, i love that the rice has a sesame flavor-you could make so many different kinds too.

    My gosh, avocado toast is not going anywhere anytime soon. I went for lunch out the other day and actually ordered avocado toast which i havent done in a long time but it was a huge pile of avocado with lemon juice and salt and lots of pretty frivolous garnishes. Good stuff.
    I love nice and crunchy grapes! I especially love them semi frozen in the summer- i freeze them for about an hour and then eat, or freeze solid and let sit out a bit before eating. Like grape sorbet!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how in a salad Romaine is pretty mild compared to other greens, but in a juice it's so strong!
      I forgot how delicious avocado toast is. I like it kind of simple and basic myself. I have seen some really fancy toppings!
      Frozen grapes are the BEST! That was one of my favorite treats as a kid!

      Delete
  2. That korean sushi sounds fascinating, I have never heard of it! But I love the idea of lentils as a filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ha never heard of it either until I randomly googled the ingredients. Lentils as a filling especially in the Korean BBQ sauce are messy but super delicious!!!

      Delete
  3. Eating fresh is hard! Well, if you are busy that is. Funny how some greens taste so strong in smoothies! I had way too much arugula that I tried to put it in a smoothie. Smallest amount would make the smoothie just taste like arugula. It was crazy! Clearly stronger taste than romaine though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I can only imagine how much Arugula would take over a smoothie!!

      Delete
  4. I've heard people describe gimbap like a Korean version of a sandwich. Like people often put spam, cheese, and mayo in it. I think it is pretty fair game of what you put in a gimbap, yours sounds pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to make a Bibimbap bowl with the marinated lentils so I just wrapped it in nori! It was really, really tasty.

      Delete
  5. I still have yet to try avocado toast; I'm so behind the times, haha! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many gorgeous versions of avocado toast out there, but I like mine on the simple side! It's so, so good!

      Delete