Sunday, June 10, 2018

Shiny New Things

Friday I had to go shopping for two new things, one a pair of shorts or a cute denim skirt and also a new shower curtain. Afro and Joan had my old one hanging on for dear life. They chew on the sides, Afro on one end Joan on the other. They move towards each other like little beavers. As a result my old shower curtain was almost sawed in half. I lucked out and found a cute skirt for forty percent off, and the shower curtain I found at Bed Bath and Beyond was also marked down to nine dollars. Because I was able to get what I needed and stay way under budget I allowed myself to bop into Natural Grocers and get a couple of treats.
This is the shower curtain I chose.  I usually choose flowers or animals for shower curtains. But since I am fighting a losing battle with a rut I decided to go for something different. This shower curtain will be ruined in about four or five months anyway. But I actually love it!
Here is my skirt and these super cheap canvas shoes from Old Navy. I am one of those people who wears my stuff into the ground before I buy new and my old Vans are in horrible shape. Again the pink tennies are a little different but I felt like I needed to go different. These are just for work anyway. On my off days I am all about sandals and flip flops! I got these two things plus a basic black tee for thirty nine dollars. I've always appreciated Old Navy because you can find such great prices and their clothes last for awhile. I refuse to buy clothes from a lot of bargain places because it's not really a deal if the clothes fall apart after two wears.
I really love the Earth Balance cheese-y crackers, but I've been trying to avoid palm oil so pretty much everything Earth Balance is out of my life. As soon as I saw these I knew I had to try them. Maybe they will fill that void in my life. And the great news is that Sara says they're delicious!
The nuts and coffee drink was on clearance as you can see, and the Kite Hill yogurt was on sale. I really try and avoid single yogurt containers but I couldn't resist the lure of key lime and a sale. I'm a bad less waste person. I had both of these at work yesterday. The yogurt was AMAZING. Creamy and smooth with a great key lime flavor. The drink was just okay. I definitely would not buy it again, especially at full price. It has oat milk in it and I just am not a fan. I've had homemade and store bought oat milk and like rice milk it needs to stay out of my life. So, I don't really fault Forager project, I fault my dislike of oat milk.
The last treat I got were these Hodo Soy Thai curry tofu nuggets. I've only had these one other time, and if I could afford it I would only eat this tofu. Hodo Soy knows tofu. It has the best chewy texture ever. I just can't believe it's tofu! They must have a whole process of freezing and refreezing and pressing and who knows what else. I had my tofu nuggets with some quick cold sesame noodles. This was a cool refreshing dinner after being out in the scorching heat.
Lounging under the paper fort. I took the packing paper and draped it over my coffee table so it's like a fort. It's been a very popular hangout. Does anyone lounge better than Keeks?







6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried Hodo Soy yet. For awhile I couldn't find it, but it is now sold at MOM's Organics, and I just can find a reason to fork over the cash. Yet. They look so good. There are several local tofu places I rather buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good. This is only the second time I've had the HoDo tofu because it is out of my budget, but seriously it really s worth it. Really delicious.

      Delete
  2. I buy the regular hodo tofu once in a while when i see it on sale, haven’t tried any of the flavored tofu they make- that looks like the perfect summer dinner! There’s a fantastic story to Hodo tofu and how the man who started it just couldn’t find the quality of tofu or yuba he wanted, it’s really an intense process to make the stuff.
    Nice find on the skirt and sneakers :))
    What’s odd is that i like oat milk hot in a cafe con leche or a cortado, but cold it’s too blah. And i like almond milk cold, but not hot in espresso drinks. Weird.
    But! Maybe they’re onto something and you could blend up some soaked cashews and coffee or extra strong black tea to bring to work. Hmm, maybe in a thermos to keep it cold?
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the yuba strips. They sell those and the tofu nuggets. The yuba strips look kin of like a noodle type thing? Their tofu really has the best texture of any tofu I've ever had like ever!
      Thank you. I thought so too!
      I don't like almond milk in warm drinks either. I much prefer coconut milk. To me oat milk has a chalky mouthfeel.

      Delete
    2. Yes the yuba strips are a lot like noodles only no need to cook them, i’ve had them in an awesome asian style salad with greens and lots of fresh herbs and chopped peanuts. Not really an eat like pasta kind of thing
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  3. So much belleh in that photo!
    Oat milk is actually my favourite milk, and the one I use at home the most. I find most almond milk tastes like sawdust, and rice milk is just sweet watery garbage. I like cashew milk, but I don't love cashew milk prices!!!

    ReplyDelete