Monday, June 25, 2018

Spicy Gochujang Peanut Sauce

I was watching a video on YouTube yesterday on Cheap Lazy Vegan's channel and she made this delicious stew with noodles, rice cakes, kimchi and of course gochujang. I actually learned about gochujang from her channel. It looked so good but the only ingredient I had for the stew is gochujang. As much as I wanted to make that stew I wasn't willing to take the bus to the Asian market to get the rice cakes and other ingredients. I had been planning on making tofu and rice with peanut sauce for dinner, so I decided to experiment with adding some gochujang to my sauce.
It turned out so tasty! It was hard not to eat it like soup before I had dinner! It was spicy and a little sweet. It is super easy, I almost feel silly posting the recipe, but it's so good!

                                                    Spicy Gochujang Peanut Sauce
  • 2 1/2 T. Peanut Butter
  • 2 T. Gochujang sauce
  • 1 T. Tamari or Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 to 1 T. Chili Garlic Sauce
  • 1 Tsp. Sesame Oil
  • 8 T. Water
Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy and sauce like. I started with 1/2 tsp. of chili garlic sauce, but I love spicy so I added more. I would definitely say start with a half teaspoon first.

I baked some extra firm tofu with South African smoke seasoning from Trader Joe's. I am seriously addicted to that stuff! I put the tofu with some rice, cilantro and green onions and drizzled liberally with this sauce. Seriously delicious! This sauce would also make a great dip for spring rolls!

Lazy Sunday!

14 comments:

  1. I'm curious - what kind of peanut butter do you use? I'm ashamed to admit it, but the only peanut butter we keep in the house on the regular is one of the mainstream brands (like JIF or Skippy) just because my husband won't eat the organic unsweetened stuff and I don't eat enough of it to justify buying a whole jar of it. Sometimes, if I get to Fairway or Whole Foods, I get a little freshly ground (from one of those machines) but that doesn't happen too often.

    So basically, my question is...do you think I could use JIF in that recipe? I know that's lame, but do you think it'll work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on my budget! My favorite is Adams natural creamy mainly because it comes in a glass jar I can reuse and it doesn't have palm oil, but this week I got what was cheapest which is Smith's store brand which seems to be pretty much like Jif or Skippy.

      Delete
  2. OMG yes! This sauce looks incredible, I want to smother everything with it. I think it would be so good on a tofu, eggplant and broccoli stir fry so I definitely need to get my hands on some gochujang and make that next week! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great on that stir fry!! I wanted to just eat it like soup!!

      Delete
  3. I’m a wimp when it comes to heat but that bowl looks damn delicious and worthy of suffering a little just to try it ;)
    I’d like to try that smoke seasoning! How’s it taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smoke seasoning is seriously so amazing! It isn't spicy, it's just nice and smoky. I feel like it would be amazing on corn on the cob on the grill! I've been using it on everything lately!

      Delete
  4. Yum!! I love any kind of peanut buttery sauce- although this would definitely be too spicy for my wimpy self.
    Have you made korean rice cakes before? They’re kind of insane and chewy-and gluten free!! Made from rice flour. The sliced ones are easier to cook than the longer chubby tube shape.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, last summer I tried rice cakes for the first time. I got the chubby tube shape, but I wish I would have gotten the slice ones. I need to get back to the Asian market and get more.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a perfect dinner. Tofu, greens, rice, peanut sauce. The best! I actually made a barely-chili gochujang recipe once, because of course I did, which was fun because it lets me enjoy the other flavours of the sauce without melting my face and my guts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I used gochujang I almost died because I used way too much. It has that little bit of sweetness and so I thought I could use a lot, but it definitely has a kick to it as well!

      Delete
  6. Mmm... this sounds so yummy! I betcha it would taste great if you spread it on tofu and baked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't go wrong with a peanut sauce; your tofu & rice bowl looks delicious! And such floof! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was actually looking for something like this a few minutes ago! I have some dried gochujang powder and was making some frozen potstickers from trader joes as a quick snack. Mixed it with peanut butter, ginger and soy. Was a great quick dip with lots of flavor!

    ReplyDelete