Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Smoothie Operator

I definitely have not been drinking very many smoothies this winter. It almost makes me angry drinking a frozen smoothie on a day where it's in the single digits. In the warmer months, I drink a smoothie a day, I have had two smoothies in the past three months.
I learned that the perfect time for me to have a smoothie is after I take my weekly ginger detox bath. When you get out, your so hot and sweaty that a frozen smoothie is very refreshing. The smoothie that I had this week was so simple, and delicious that I had to write about it! I saw a recipe for a banana, cinnamon, and date smoothie that sparked my curiosity. I have never had a plain banana smoothie. I know they are kind of a thing for many Raw till 4 followers, as is blending dates with water to make "dateorade". I almost always make my smoothies green, or if not green I add many different fruits. So, while I was detoxing in the tub, I soaked three dates in a combo of water and cashew milk. About a cup of liquid total. After bathing, I blended up the soaked dates, along with the liquid, three to four frozen bananas, and about half a teaspoon of cinnamon. I ended up adding about 1/4 cup of additional cashew milk, and what I ended up with blew my mind to be honest. It was creamy like an actual milkshake, and the dates made it so sweet! Admittedly I don't have a ton of experience with dates, but now I see why it's uses so often as a sweetener in many raw desserts. It's a rich sweetness, much richer than sugar. And as a cinnamon lover, that took it over the edge. It was satisfying, and I felt like I totally splurged and had a decadent, sweet dessert in the middle of the day. I have to remember this combo for the warmer months when I drink more smoothies. It's definitely one of the most economical smoothies you could make. Dates, I recently learned are another great bulk bin purchase.  Also, Dole has stepped into the dried fruit game, and often times groceries have sales on dole products. Anyway, I just thought I would spread the cheap smoothie love. All those natural sugars made me feel energized, which is definitely a bonus on these dreary, grey winter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment