Thursday, January 15, 2015

Pucker Up!

Lemon water first thing in the morning is something I have been drinking for about a year now, and it has made a huge difference in how I feel, I thought it deserves a post. I can't remember if it was The Kind Diet, by Alicia Silverstone, or Crazy Sexy Cancer, by Kris Karr, but I started doing it as suggested in one or both of those books. I started in the winter, so I would make warm, (not quite boiling) water and add the juice of half a lemon. I don't care for warm lemon water. I then read to do ice cold lemon water as it really revs the metabolism. I find ice cold water too aggressive first thing in the morning, even in the summer. So, through all of my experimenting with temperatures, I find I prefer to set water out over night, and add my lemon juice to the perfect temperature of room. I started out adding the juice of half of a lemon, I now go hardcore and add a whole lemon's worth of the good stuff.  It makes me feel energized, and I literally feel the lemon juice kicking things into gear in my body. In about a years time, I have maybe missed no more than five days, it's that important to me. On the days that I have missed, I feel sluggish, and cranky all day. Like I'm missing something.
When you read about the benefits, I feel like there is no reason not to at least try it. Lemons are of course full of vitamin c, and also potassium! Potassium is good for brain, and nerve function. Lemons help loosen toxins from your digestive tract, so it's helpful for any people who suffer from constipation. Lemons help cleanse your liver, and helps with the production of enzymes. Lemon juice helps detoxify your blood, which helps give your skin a boost in looking healthy. And in my opinion the most important benefit is lemon water helps reduce inflammation, and decreases the acidity in the body, which is where disease occurs! I have almost a whole notebook full of facts that I have read in books, online, interviews, etc. By all means don't believe me, look it up, you will be amazed. I feel silly that it took me so long to start doing this.
It's as much a part of my morning as eating breakfast. I make myself a cup of tea after I have fed the furballs, and while the tea is cooling I drink my lemon water. I mix about 12 to 16 oz. room temperature water with the juice of one lemon. I do this after I have brushed my teeth. I feel like the sourness of the lemon also wakes up my mouth, my taste buds. It's something that I think contributes greatly to my overall health, and it is as easy as making a cup of tea. I really recommend everyone try it. Feeling good on the inside really helps battle the blues. And it's beneficial to to help your immune system out. There are a lot of sickos out there just waiting to pass on their cooties!!

No comments:

Post a Comment