Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Team Ginger

I can't say enough good things about ginger. I use ginger in my green and beet juice, and let me tell you, if you struggle with the "earthy" flavor of beets like I do, ginger helps so much. Beet juice is almost enjoyable if I have ginger in it! I also always add ginger to my miso soup, and I try to add it to any type of stir fry, or fried rice kind of dish. Now that it's getting cooler, I will start adding miso, ginger, shitake soup to my diet at least once a week for breakfast. Last winter I got into the habit of having this soup on Saturday morning, followed by a bath with powdered ginger, and sometimes Epsom or miracle bath salts, sometimes just ginger.
Ginger is one of the best things you can put into your body in my opinion. In addition to it being anti-inflammatory, and immunity boosting, it helps with nausea, it can help with the side effects of chemotherapy, it helps maintain normal blood circulation, and the main reason I use it often, it can help prevent colds and flus. There are some very interesting studies I've read about ginger helping relieve pain due to arthritis, and a study that showed ginger helped slow the growth of  colon cancer cells! I also have read that it can help heal damage done to the liver by taking Tylenol. I added ginger, and turmeric to my diet a few years ago when I laid off the drinking, and realized my liver probably felt a little bad. Turmeric and ginger almost always head the list of natural liver detoxifiers.
Since it's hard not to be exposed to other people's cooties, I think ginger is a wonderful addition to your diet. And powdered ginger is just as beneficial, so if dealing with ginger is too time consuming sometimes, just keep powdered in your cupboard. Shake a few shakes in your tea, and soups and other appropriate meals. I bet it would even be good in oatmeal, esp. with some pears, or granny smith apples. I think I have something new to try!
I think that there are some really wonderful natural remedies, and we don't always have to go to the drugstore or see a pharmacist.
Have a healthy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment