Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Odds and Ends

Well, it seems that Unilever might have actually helped Just Mayo. It seems that many, many people feel the same way as I do about this completely ridiculous lawsuit. It has become quite the hot topic, and the Change.org petition is doing very well. It seems that many non-vegans not only love Just Mayo as well, but also people just don't like seeing this kind of bullying from these big ass corporations. I'm so happy that people are letting their opinion be known, and I hope people try to avoid all products made by Unilever. It seems that's the only way to get these people to listen. They make a lot of stuff that I'm happy to say I have never purchased at all. (axe for men anyone?) I don't know if the negative attention will make them drop the suit, but at least it is bringing attention to Just Mayo, and also reminding us all that we are letting corporations have way too much power. Bullies are easy to defeat if people stand up to them.
Something I wanted to talk about yesterday, before I got sidetracked was a delicious little omelette /pancake/crepe type meal you can make out of chickpea flour. I read about this quite a few months ago on an awesome blog called Bonzai Aphrodite. (she calls them Pudla, and they have several other names) I have always struggled with tofu omelettes, I cannot get them to look like anything other than a mistake on a plate, and chickpea flour intrigued me, so I found some Bob's Red Mill garbanzo flour in the natural section of Wegmen's, (it was under three dollars. Bonus!) I have become obsessed, they are my new favorite breakfast! For one person, I use  1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of flour, a pinch of baking soda, (I have forgotten this before, and it was fine.) salt, pepper, whatever spices and herbs you prefer, and then whatever veg you want. What I have come to love so much, is this is a great way to use up odds and ends of veg, like when you have that half of a green pepper, two mushrooms, one green onion, etc. If you are like me, sometimes those odds and ends stress me out, and although I am a soup lover through and through, it's nice to have options. If you are using softer veg like green onion, shredded cabbage, sprouts, you can add them raw into the batter, other veg such as peppers, mushrooms, white onion, I like to give a quick sauté before adding to the batter. To make the batter, just add enough water to make a batter. I usually end up adding around a half cup. I have been making one big pancake, but I though yesterday duh, why don't I make two smaller cakes, which will be much easier to flip. Anyway, they only have to cook for 4 or 5 minutes on one side, flip and maybe 2 or 3 on the other side, so these are very quick and easy. If you don't like garbanzo beans, then these would not be for you, but if you are a fan, you should try these, they have a taste that is both beany and eggy, in the best way possible. I serve mine with a healthy dose of hot sauce, and the past couple of days have been adding a variety of hot peppers like jalapeno, and Serrano( hi almost a vegan!), cilantro, and green onion and yesterday I also added some chopped spinach. It was green, and spicy! If you prefer a sweet breakfast, then try this for lunch or dinner. There are a million recipes online, for like a hundred variations, and also I saw a recipe for a chickpea flour frittata that is calling my name. I have never had a non vegan frittata so it will be a whole new adventure!
So today was a mish mash, but the moral of my story is support Just Mayo, protest Unilever, and try a chickpea omelette/pancake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment