Sunday, November 30, 2014

Snuffy was my Friend

I'm sure everyone has watched Sesame Street at some point in their life, and if you're like me, it brings up the warm and fuzzies. One of the biggest let downs about adulthood is that life really isn't like that. If Mr. Snuffleupagus  really came ambling down the street, obviously it would not bode well for Snuffy. I want to always wish for that world. All that harmony and equality really made for some happy life on Sesame Street. It seemed like no one really needed any toxic behavior as a shield from the harshness of the world. No bars on this street! And in my head, everyone on Sesame Street was a vegan, because duh, how could they love and be friends with Big Bird, but eat little birds. It just makes no sense to me.
That's the world we desperately need. I've realized that last week was a dark week for this country, in my opinion, and I fell prey to very sadness, and anger, which is of course normal, because I never in a million years want to be desensitized to injustice, and hate ever. Anyway, between the Ferguson decision, black Friday mayhem and gluttony, and my own feelings of isolation, man I sunk down quick. As I woke up this morning, I realizes that by being in that dark, negative place I am adding to the problem, because my energy is as toxic as anyone else's. And one thing I've learned is that it is super easy to get stuck in that headspace, and just wallow, and wallow. It's a horrible, helpless, and hopeless black hole.
Today, I detox, and come up with a plan. I don't know what the answer is, but I truly know that hate is not the answer. There is a disconnect somewhere, and I want to fix it, or at least help fix it. I can't stand all of the suffering that is going on every second of the day, and I just want to do what I can to encourage kindness, because at the end of the day, we could all stand to watch some Sesame Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment