Wednesday, June 17, 2020

What I Ate on a Gloomy Tuesday

Before I do my What I Ate post, I wanted to say it's a wonderful day because Quaker has finally decided to discontinue Aunt Jemima. They say it's never too late to do the right thing, but damn it's sad that it's taken all this time for them to figure this out. Honestly, I don't buy breakfast stuff, so I assumed this brand was gone a long time ago. I can remember being a kid and my mom losing her mind over the fact that this was a thing. This is just one of too many examples of why we need to DO BETTER!
I always start my day with lemon water. And lately I've been making and enjoying cold brew coffee. Caffeine isn't really recommended for people with hypothyroidism, but I feel most days I need a little help. I use half regular coffee, and half teecino which is an herbal, caffeine free alternative. Compromise, right?

I've been really loving veggie sandwiches for breakfast. This has hummus, avocado, clover sprouts, cucumber and pickle. Oh, and a little yellow mustard. So, so good!!!
This is another decent gluten free bread. The seeds and grain is my favorite, because it has a lot of pumpkin and sunflower seeds which add a nice crunch, and distract from the lack of gluten.
Orange, carrot ginger juice!


Home brewed kombucha! Mango lemonade!
Yesterday was a grey, cool and dreary day. My mood matched the weather, so that usually means mashed potatoes for me! I used Oatly and a little pat of Miyoko's amazing vegan butter. These were some dreamy, creamy mashed potatoes. Can't wait to have leftovers for breakfast!
I've mentioned a million times I don't have gravy making skills, so I always use this packet. It's really, really delicious, and the ingredients don't terrify me! I like to mix in some cooked lentils because lentils!
Can you handle the cuteness?? Look at Afro's paws around Kiki, she's totally cuddling her!!! No matter how funky I feel, these guys always cheer me up!!!





7 comments:

  1. Oooh mango lemonade booch! I need that recipe! :-) I'm drinking some pineapple strawberry mint booch home brew right now. I love a good gravy packet. The Roads End Organics brown gravy packet is really good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a bottle of Santa Cruz mango lemonade for the second ferment! I read on reddit that Trader Joe's mango juice or puld makes some excellent booch!
      OMG, strawberry pineapple and mint?? Sounds amazing!
      I love the Roads End gravy too, for some reason it's harder for me to find!!

      Delete
  2. There are few moods that mashed potatoes don't help with.

    I'm not supposed to have caffeine either and sometimes do. My preferred delivery mechanism is black tea. It used to be Coke but that apparently has fish in it. (!?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should drink more Chai tea instead of coffee. I feel like it's a little less harsh, although I suppose caffeine is caffeine.
      Gross, why on earth would fish be an ingredient in coke?? Yikes!!!!

      Delete
  3. KITTIES! I love how they are all snuggled and tangled up. So cute!
    Your gravy and mashed potatoes looks like the perfect comfort food.
    Yay for seeds and grains in the gf bread improving things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's like they pose!! Almost every morning they are in some variation of that cuddle!!
      The seeds give the bread a little much needed texture!

      Delete
  4. Your mashed potato bowl looks absolutely perfect, especially with lentils added to the gravy!
    Afro and Kiki are way too cute!

    ReplyDelete