Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Some Soothing Meals

Years ago, way back when I lived in PA., I came across a recipe for a sunflower seed "tuna" salad. It used raw, unsalted sunflower seeds that you soaked overnight. Then, you pulsed them in a food processor to kind of shred them so they resembled tuna. I remember loving it, and I was shocked that sunflower seeds could be used this way. I tried to find that exact recipe, and I couldn't so I kind of just made my own recipe.
I just used the usual no tuna salad ingredients. Vegan mayo, red onion, pickle, salt and pepper and also a little old bay.
I've been enjoying the salad on lightly toasted gluten free bread with clover sprouts. So tasty!
I was feeling a little blah the day after my road trip from all the snacks and junky food. I knew I wanted lentils for dinner, so I made a curry, peanut-y lentil and soy curl stew. So satisfying and very soothing on my stomach.
I was watching a What I Eat in a Day video starring Padma Lakshmi, and she said when she gets home from  day tasting all those rich foods on Top Chef, all she wants for dinner is lentils and rice!!
Last night I had to have baked tofu with some romaine, rice and spicy peanut sauce. Always makes my stomach happy!!





4 comments:

  1. Oooh, that sunflower tuna sounds awesome. I never liked actual tuna because I don't like fishy flavors. But I always like homemade vegan versions (I tried the vegan Toono - maybe not spelling that right — in a can once, and it was nasty!). Love the idea of adding soy curls to lentil stew!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a recipe like that! To me, it's more of a spread than a tuna salad thing, but I love it in its place. (Meanwhile, it amazes me that spicy things make your stomach happy!) http://foodfordissertating.blogspot.com/2018/03/lunchbots-quad-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated by the sunflower tuna, I have never heard of subflower seeds being used like that. I will have to try it.
    I agree with The Student that it is amazing that spicy food makes your tummy happy, but I am glad that they do and you always make such great looking comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to try sunflower seed tuna sometime! Your post-road trip bowls look so comforting!

    ReplyDelete