Monday, June 22, 2020

Road Trippen'

Saturday I went on an impromptu road trip to Dinosaur Colorado! It's a very small town, and apparently the town is full of dinosaur bones, and some mountains are shaped like dinosaurs!! I didn't see any of that, but I love road trips so it was still a fun day. I want to go back sometime and do some real exploring. Who didn't love learning about dinosaurs as a kid?
Since it was unplanned, I didn't have food made for the trip. I tried stopping at a Whole Foods to get some kind of ready to eat food so I could avoid fast food, but since Covid most groceries have really cut back on stuff like that. The few vegan offerings were really expensive, and not gluten free. I did find some Kite Hill French onion dip on sale for $2.50, so I scooped that up with some mini rice cakes for snacking.
You guys, this stuff blew my mind!! My non vegan traveling companion loved it too!! It has a really deep, onion-y savory flavor. Delicious!!! I will definitely be buying this again, with some Ruffles plain chips for dipping!!!
I also found this Dunkin Donuts cold brew coffee. It's caramel flavored black coffee. You guys, I don't know how they did it but it tastes like it has cream or milk in it. It's so smooth, and just the right amount of sweet. On the way back I stopped at the gas station where I found this for two more. I've never seen them anywhere else. Now I know why I've always heard good things about their coffee!!
The drive was very, very rural, so not a lot of options for food. I decided to try the Impossible Whopper, since I've never had it. We stopped in a tiny, super old fashioned town called Duchesne Utah. I was surprised and impressed that the Impossible Whopper was offered at this location! I just ordered it with no mayo or cheese, and no bun because alas, gluten. This was really good, although I wish they had whole pieces of lettuce as more of a wrap. I am uncomfortable with shared grill space, and also eating at restaurants in general, especially during a pandemic, but sometimes you have to let some of those things go when there are no other options. All that aside, this is a delicious option for vegans and non vegans alike!
We stopped at a viewing area. The water was almost green, but you can't really tell from the pictures. There were people on the water, and also people camping. 
I love road trips so much!! I know people think I'm weird for preferring greyhound bus trips over flying, but I just do. I love seeing parts of the country I would never see otherwise. And I find it soothing to my soul. I guess in my heart I'm a ramblin man!




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day! I hate onions, so I have nothing to say about that Kite Hill dip although it's nice to know your omnivorous travelling companion enjoyed it also. And glad to see you were able to try an Impossible Burger! My parents (who are definitely not vegetarians) get them at the Cheesecake Factory restaurant at the local mall and they love them! Cheesecake Factory is a big chain (I assume it's national but I'm not sure). And the local diner also serves the Impossible Burger. It's so great how vegan menu options have taken off in the past couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would hate the French onion dip, it's very onion-y! They make a ranch dip that is really amazing too. Very thick and ranch-y!!
      I've heard so many non vegan or vegetarian people say they love the Impossible and Beyond burgers. It is pretty amazing, never did I think I'd be able to get a burger at Burger King!!!

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a fun trip, and an awesome place! I love all things dinos, so I will have to add this to my 'one day' list to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your road trip sounds like such a fun adventure, and that's awesome that you got to try the Impossible Whopper! I love your pictures of the water!

    ReplyDelete