Friday, May 22, 2020

Tofu and Banana Bread!


This was one of my splurges last week when I got groceries. I love it so much, it's my favorite tofu ever! If I could afford to, I would always have several boxes in my fridge! I really don't know what wizardry they use to get the texture. It's firm, but not too firm, and chewy but in a good way. This is definitely the tofu for people who hate the texture of tofu!
The other night I made a Thai green curry with red lentils and the curry nuggets. Divine! The hodo soy tofu is just so satisfying!
I picked this up the last time I was at the Asian market. Even though the bottle says it's for ribs, I figured it would be even better with tofu!
So far I've used it two ways, one as a marinade for some baked tofu I used in a tofu veggie bowl, and two as a stir fry sauce for tofu and mushrooms. Both were great!


I made more quarantine banana bread! I want to thank Klara for the baking tips! I made two smaller loaves, and baked them with foil and with a water bath. So much better! I had less oats than I thought, so I used oat flour and some coconut flour. The coconut flour made it kind of crumbly, but I'm getting there!


4 comments:

  1. Tofu forever! Even as a non-vegan, I never got eating ribs, so gross. And obviously now as a vegan, so horrible! I have some recipes for tofu or seitan ribs where they use something to push in to mimic the bone, but I just make them without because I don't want to mimic that and that just seems like an extra step and more waste. I will choose a nice slab of tofu every since time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are getting closer to good banana bread! Good banana bread is amazing.

    Korean barbecue is great on tofu, and probably also on tempeh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Korean BBQ sauce sounds really good, and your banana bread is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say a definite improvement over your last loaf. :) As for the water bath, I forgot to mention that using hot (almost boiling) water tends to help stabilize the heating process in the beginning. As the water slowly evaporates, it will add moisture to your oven right away which should eliminate the cracking on the top of the loafs. The water bath also provides a more even, slower heat which should prevent the bottom of your loafs from burning while keeping them moist and lightly dense at the same time. Leaving just a bit of air space on the sides when covering the loaf top with aluminum foil should also help. The secret to a perfect banana bread is moisture.

    Banana bread rises best when the wet and dry ingredients are ever so lightly mixed together. Using overripe bananas will add greatly to the moisture, sweetness, and flavor. Baking peeled bananas on a cooking sheet for 30 minutes or so (checking ever 15 minutes) is a quick way to ripen them in a pinch. Crumbling can be reduced by using just the right amount of flour. Too much flour or too much yeast always causes crumbliness.

    Thanks for the mention and the update. I can see you're going to achieve banana bread baking perfection in no time! Good luck on your next batch! :)

    ReplyDelete