Sunday, May 17, 2020

A Less Boring Vegan Haul!

Yesterday was grocery day, and I decided to switch it up and go to a different Smith's than I normally go to. I guess that's the excitement for now! It's in a rather trendy neighborhood/area called Sugar House. Sugar House kind of reminds me of certain areas in Seattle, so I always feel warm and fuzzy when I go there. I found a few sales, but no tofu, so I went across the street to Natural grocers, no tofu! So, I also went to the Asian market and yes, tofu! I bought a few treats and splurges, so my haul is a little more exciting than normal!
First we have the Smith's haul!
Sweet onion, lemons, strawberries, daiya pizza, cuties,carrots, spring mix, bananas,avocado,apples,brown rice,peanut butter, vegan Bolognese sauce, gluten free spaghetti



Close up of the Bolognese sauce. This is definitely new to me. Smith's/Kroger/Fred Meyer simple truth line has been really stepping up the vegan products!
Next is my Natural grocers haul. They had quite a few sales so I got some goodies!
Yerba Mate, Hodo Soy curry tofu nuggets, sporttea,raspberry sorbet pops, silk creamer, water kefir,green tea,daiya mac and cheese, gluten free vegan potstickers(!!!!), celery clearance treeline aged cheese, chocolate bars (from Smiths)
The daiya mac and cheese was on sale for under two dollars a box!!! Although it's definitely not my favorite, I've never tried the white cheddar with veggies so I decided to risk it!
The gluten free pot stickers were the real splurge. I've looked at them so many times at Sprouts, but they are freaking expensive! They were on sale for under six dollars, which is still a lot but I was feeling crazy! I hope they're good!
I also got this to try. I've read that it gives you energy while being caffeine free. My energy has been low, sleeping has been spotty so I've been relying on coffee a bit more than I'd like. I'm okay with having a cup every once in awhile, but lately I've been having one or two cups a day. Has anyone tried this?
Potato flour crackers, tofu, Emerald tofu, Korean BBQ marinade, chin-su sauce, sambal oelek,rice vinegar


 So, that's my haul. I was flustered having to go to several stores, and wearing a mask makes me feel very claustrophobic so I definitely bought more treats than usual, but hey, at least I found tofu!!






7 comments:

  1. I've tried both hot and cold versions of the Sportea. The tea is mostly caffeine-free, but there is an ever so slight bit of caffeine present. Looks like you got the hot tea version, but you can still make iced tea with 5 tea bags and 1 quart of filtered or spring water. I liked the iced tea version better, letting the tea bags steep overnight (12-16 hours) in the fridge. It has a pleasant lemony gingery flavor. Very refreshing without any bitterness. Doesn't need any sugar. Excellent boost in natural energy as a cold brewed tea with zero jitteriness. As a hot beverage, it's stronger-tasting and good, just not better than the iced tea version, in my opinion. If you try the tea both ways, you'll understand. Great tea pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize there were two versions! I wanted it for iced tea so that's what I've been doing! I've just been using one bag per Mason jar and then keeping it in the fridge. It really does have a nice flavor!
      Thanks for catching that, next time I'll look for the iced version!

      Delete
  2. The run on tofu has been a challenge, for sure! I'm glad you found some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so frustrating. And the supply goes up and down, so I never know what to expect.

      Delete
  3. This is the time for treats! And you got some good ones. I recently tried a vegan bolognese sauce I found that had TVP in it and it was pretty good. It was in the fridge section though, I'd love to find a shelf stable jar like that to keep on hand for whenever I needed.
    And yay for gluten free dumplings! I hope they are good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this uses tvp too. It has soy as an ingredient, and the little pieces look very tvp like.
      I am so incredibly excited about the dumplings! I haven't had a dumpling in over two years, it's been the worst!!!!

      Delete
  4. Looks like some nice hauls, and hooray for finally finding tofu! The raspberry sorbet pops sound nice, and that's awesome that you got some gluten free potstickers!

    ReplyDelete