Monday, March 6, 2017

New Me for A New Season!

For breakfast yesterday I diced up one russet potato along with some of the Trader Joe's frozen hash browns and some red onion and baked this in the oven while I did Pilates. It was delicious! If I had kale I would have loved to have that in the mix. I was out of ketchup, so a healthy splash of sriracha worked just fine.
I had another strawberry, banana, chia smoothie in the afternoon, and had a nice lazy dinner of BBQ tofu with rice. I used the Korean style BBQ sauce from Trader Joe's, and once again I licked the bowl. If you like gochujang sauce, or are a fan of spicy, and sweet you need to try this. I cannot say enough good things about it.
I'm starting a little cleanse today. I saw someone post something on Instagram about The Hot Belly Diet and so I looked into it, which led me down a wormhole learning all about the healing benefits of Kitchari. I read somewhere that it's a good cleanse to do in between seasons, and it's been spring-like some days, and winter others so now seems like a perfect time to do this. I will probably never have a job that provides health insurance. That's just a sad fact, and because of personal experiences I am very leery of free/low income clinics so I need to do whatever I can to heal myself. Most of what I read about this cleanse calls for oatmeal and Kitchari to be your main meals. I'm going to do potatoes and kitchari because I'm not a fan of sweet breakfasts, and I just am not a huge fan of oatmeal to be honest. I'm also ordering some Atman Tea. I tried it for Sororitea Sisters and when I was researching the health benefits, I was pleased to learn that ashwagandha root is excellent for hypothyroidism!
I haven't decided how long I'm going to do this cleanse, probably either three or five days. If I love it and feel awesome and not too bored I might do it longer. Truth be told, I really do feel best when I stick to very simple foods. When I have a day where all I eat is potatoes and a green smoothie, I always feel so light and energetic. Anyway, after being in a slump and feeling so depressed and helpless and hopeless, I've had a change of heart and I'm going to make food my medicine and really work on healing myself. So, my food might be boring for the next few days, but hopefully the results will be totally worth it!
There is a squirrel who lives in the tree behind my apartment, and he/she loves to stop and stare in my bedroom window and say hi to the kitties. I think it wants to be friends, but unfortunately I think my kitties have other ideas, especially Joan!



9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Kitchari, specifically, but I know that the basis of the macrobiotic diet is grains.

    The Western diet thinks the cornerstone of a healthy diet is protein, but the Eastern diet is all about the grains. I remember when I was kind of strictly following the diet in Alicia Silverstone's book (which is essentially a macrobiotic diet), I felt so, so, soooo much better. It's amazing what a difference proper nourishment can make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird how focused on protein the western diet is. Ever since I started focusing more on carbs I really have felt much better.
      I had the kitchari last night for dinner and it was so comforting and really delicious!

      Delete
  2. SQUIRREL!
    I don't think that potatoes can ever be boring.
    Hope it helps. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squirrel is so cute! When I say hi to it, it always stops and looks like let me come and play. But unfortunately Joan is a bit of a wild card so I think it would end badly.
      I really hope it all helps too. It's been such a frustrating experience to be honest.

      Delete
  3. I hope that this cleanse helps kickstart your journey toward feeling better! Once your body feels better hopefully your mind will follow. I've always found that I feel better mentally if I'm feeling good physically so I definitely think this will be great! That coupled with some yoga and I think it's a great path toward feeling better and more centered. Can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading about a few women who healed their thyroid naturally, so I figure if they could do it why can't I? I really hope this helps, I am so tired of feeling helpless!

      Delete
  4. Oh! YAY! You have your comments back! Woot! I still have to try my Atman's Tea in my stash! Glad you liked it! LOVE seeing more and more reviews from you too! Thank YOU! The 'eats' look terrific!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I figured out the comment issue, and so far the troll hasn't been back!! The Atman's tea was really good, and i was so happy to learn that it is great for everyone, and is really beneficial for hypothyroidism! I am learning so much about tea and I have Sororitea Sisters to thank!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep on reviewing and you never know what we will get to send your way! LOL - I've done it for 6 years (and 2 before that with another site) and the teas out there are incredible and just getting more and more awesome!!!!!

      Delete