Tuesday, March 14, 2017

All the Potatoes

I've been wanting to try my hand at Hasselback potatoes for some time now. When I was a kid my mom would make some version of them where she would slice the potatoes, and put butter, salt and pepper and thinly sliced onions and peppers, and then wrap them in foil and put them on the grill. They were always one of my favorites.
I think next time I need to make the slices thinner, but for a first attempt these were pretty good. I put a little coconut oil, salt and pepper and garlic powder and baked the on a baking sheet in the oven. After baking I topped them with some green onion and nutritional yeast. Practice makes perfect so I'll be trying again!
I made this oil free parsley, cilantro and olive pesto that I was going to toss with some gluten free pasta for dinner, but I noticed that my potatoes needed to be used so I made a pesto potato gratin. I feel like as a kid potatoes were one of those foods that lasted forever, but it seems like now when I buy potatoes they start sprouting eyes within days after buying them. Good thing I eat so many of them!
I took so many freaking pictures of this dish trying to get a pretty one and it was mission impossible. But it was super tasty. It felt like a nice spring dish. This would be a great side for Easter dinner. It would please vegans and non alike.
Joan and Kanye were cuddling together in their little box, and as soon as I wanted to get a picture Joan moved like the little stinker she is. So here is Kanye and Joan's tail!




6 comments:

  1. So much potato love! I think you did a great job with the Hasselback potatoes! I've never tried them before but they look great. I bet the pesto would be great drizzled in the cuts too. I think you pesto potato dish looks great! I really love that plate too, very pretty!

    You have such snuggly kitties! You always get the greatest pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great idea to drizzle pesto in the slices of the hasselback potatoes! I wish I would have thought of that, next time!!
      I do have very snuggly kitties, I really lucked out!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm...those hasselback potatoes look so good. I tried them for the first time a couple months ago with some Japanese yams. So very good. Need to do that again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good! I bet they'd be really great with vegan butter slathered all in the slices!

      Delete
  3. You really can never have too many potatoes in your life!
    I like the idea of a pesto potato bake, that sounds great.
    I don't know if I have ever had hassleback potatoes, but I should rectify that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to have potatoes daily! I might have an addiction!
      Hasselback potatoes are really delicious! They're like a crispy on the outside but soft on the inside baked potato!

      Delete