Thursday, September 18, 2014

Opening the Door for Compassion

Yesterday I went to the library and was perusing the cookbook section, and a book title jumped out and smacked me right in the face. The title of the book is no joke, The Compassionate Carnivore. I almost keeled over right then and there. My first thoughts were thinking how can murder be considered compassionate. That is how I truly feel, and there will never be a way to convince me otherwise. However, as much as it kills me to admit this, we live in an animal murdering, meat eating society. And believe me, progress is being made, but we have years and years ahead of us to really have a safe world for animals. So as much as the title offends my vegan sensibilities, since I can't turn into Iron Woman and save all the animals yet, if there were a movement and demand from the carnivores to at least treat these poor animals humanely while they are alive, that is a small change, but an important one, and for that reason, I've decided that I'm happy I saw that book, and I'm going to take note from now on when I'm at the library to see if it's checked out, because I hope people who choose to eat meat will read it.
I did a little research on the book, and it seems that the author, Catherine Friend, wants to help the earth, and the animals, but still have her meat at the end of the day (?). Here's the thing, when I became vegan, I feel that I became more compassionate in every aspect of my life. It's the domino effect. So maybe if this book opens one compassionate door for some carnivores, other doors might be opened more easily. We live in such a Mcworld, that people don't even associate living creatures with food, so they don't make any demands other than to demand a dollar menu. Vegans are unfortunately the minority, so we need the majority to demand  humane treatment. And I hate to say it, but a lot of carnivores would probably hear this Catherine Friend out, before any vegan ever, because she still eats meat, so she's not asking the "impossible".
The fact that she also mentions reducing our footprint on the earth is helpful also. Because there are so many people who don't give a flying eff about the environment. Since I have lived in this pit masquerading as a city, I have had so many people say that any talk of climate change is total b.s. for a myriad of reasons. When I mention that I don't drive because I care about the earth, not because I have a D.U.I, people look at me like I need to be prodded and examined! So we have a lot of work to do in getting people to care about anything other than 'Murica.
Here's to hoping one compassionate door opens another one, we need it.
I am in no way promoting this book, or eating meat. I stick with my first feeling of eye roll, tooth suck, however I do promote animals being treated humanely, and we have to start somewhere, and we have to be realistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment