Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Veganism = Minimalism

I was thinking about minimalism and veganism and how they go together, and one makes the other easier. When I first started becoming a minimalist, I was a vegetarian, and I was kind of forced to become a minimalist, due to lack of money to buy anything extra. I didn't really even look at it as minimalism, I thought of it as being broke, poor, destitute, they all could have applied at certain points. It wasn't really until I became vegan that I really started thinking about my impact on this world, and that I could try my best to always make kind choices.
I believe that veganism is a compassionate choice, and even if people are vegan solely for health reasons, I think that you naturally start to care more about your impact. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope I'm right.
I was listening to some news programs over the weekend, and one was talking about different corporations with terrible worker's rights policies, and I am proud to say that I don't go to any of them. If your curious, the places mentioned were Wal-Mart, Burger king, Mcdonalds, and Target. I personally have been boycotting Wal-Mart for years now after hearing a million horrible stories about their practices. As far as I know, there really isn't anything good about Wal-Mart, but hearing that about Target was a little bit of a surprise. I think I've spent money at a Target maybe five times in my whole life, so it's pretty easy for me to cross that company off of my list.
I think if more people wandered into thrift stores they would be amazed! I know that I was. It's hard for me to admit but there was a time where I had tons of clothes, all new, and was constantly buying more clothes, and the thought of used was, well let's just say not really a thought. And I was always trying out new makeup, lotions, shampoos, conditioners,etc. I look at that time as a dark time. I was also heavily into bingeing an purging, and smoking cigarettes, and just unhealthy inside and out. None of that stuff or behavior made me happy, nor did it fill any holes in my heart. I kind of feel that it made more holes in my heart as I made many poor dating choices, so I suffered some broken hearts as well, and just all around nothing good, and I know I was only thinking of myself at the time.
As all of my rants have shown, I am clearly still searching for happiness, but not being such a self absorbed asshole has really helped. I don't have that shaky, sweaty what can I buy, eat, drink, to feel better. I'm being active in my own life, and trying to figure out what I can do to change the things I need to change. And when I do need clothes, I love rocking the thrift store duds. I like knowing that I'm not going to see a million people wearing the same thing. And a thrift store tip I'm sure most people know is go to a thrift store in a "ritzier" part of your city, as it never ceases to amaze me what wealthy people deem as no good.
This post was my fiftieth post which for me is huge. I am braving through the fear of TOTAL DORKINESS! That's really why I babbled on about minimalism, and veganism because for me, those are the two messages I want to spread the most. I think no matter how anyone feels on the topic, it's hard to argue that we need to start cutting down on consumption, and we vote with our dollars more than anything else, so it's important to be making the gentlest, kindest choices possible.
Today I am Grateful for fingers to type with, the beautiful sun that warmed my face yesterday, and the clean water I have access to all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment