Friday, August 15, 2014

Three Ring Circus

So like I was talking about yesterday there are so many animals who need homes. But not just animals in shelters. In my neighborhood, there are at least five homeless kitties that I feed. I spoke of Al, he is the OG.  Well, about two weeks ago I saw a kitten, no more than two or three weeks on my deck. It was very scared of me, and it would show up with Al to eat. My goal became to save this kitten. So in the meantime, I talked to one of my neighbors who saved a lost kitten herself last summer, and is a big animal lover. She told me she would take the kitten if I could get it. Well, it took two weeks but I finally gained the kittens trust two days ago, and I grabbed it and got it inside. Much to my surprise Stevie, my mama kittie went insane and tried to kick this kittens ass! It was total chaos until I got the kitten barricaded in my bedroom. Needless to say the kitten absolutely hates me. I feel so bad that this little thing is so traumatized.
Well, guess what? My neighbor told me yesterday that her hubby put the kibosh on her plans to take the kitty. ( Men! ) So I do not know what to do. I've been researching online how to get adult cats to accept kittens, and I have been trying but the guttural growls that are coming from Stevie tell me that she is not into acceptance. I have been taking Dylan into my room because he is so sweet, and through the years he is always okay with any cat I have ever brought home. This poor kitten is so hungry for the company of a cat  that it immediately starts purring, the problem is Dylan kind of has no interest. And the kitten still is giving me the stink eye and hissing if I come close. The good news is that it is eating and drinking, and also using the litter box! Which by the way, is very impressive to me as no one showed it what to do. Animals are so smart! Anyway I just don't know what to do. I'm not opposed to keeping it, but I don't want it to get beaten up. It's too little. But I feel like I am imprisoning it by keeping it in my room. I know I can take it a shelter, but that is not really the perfect choice either. I feel like it was happier outside, at least grumpy old Al played with it.
I have the weekend off, so I guess I am going to try to see if I can get my kitties to be civil. I told Stevie that she should be nicer, as she was living under a van, and what if Dylan had treated her that way?
If anyone has any experience or ideas please let me know as I am struggling and I don't know what to do. And whatever I do, I want this kitten to have a better life than it would have had outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment