Thursday, July 17, 2014

Giving up Coffee

Coffee is something that was a huge part of my life, and part of my daily routine for years. I started sneaking coffee when I was around eleven and I never looked back! I never even got to into the latte coffee shop thing either. I always liked plain old drip and lots of it! Sometimes I liked it black, sometimes I liked with milk in my pre vegan days, and after going vegan I loved it with almond milk.
About six years ago, I decided to give it up. I wasn't going too hardcore, I  switched from coffee to green tea, because I didn't want to deal with the awful headache, and also I just wanted to find a gentler, healthier way to start my day. I remember that first day I was such a zombie! I went to Trader Joes that day and I remember I felt so out of it, and so so fuzzy headed. Those first couple of days were so hard and it was so tempting to go back to coffee! And I was living in Seattle at the time so coffee was everywhere and everyone was drinking coffee! But I stuck with it, and I started feeling really amazing. After a few weeks, I started waking up right out of bed alert. I didn't feel that grumpy "oh I need my coffee before I even look at anyone feeling anymore. And oddly enough I started to become much more of a morning person. Nowadays early morning is my absolute favorite part of the day!
I still start my day with a small amount of caffeine, but in the form of either green tea, or yerba mate. And since making that switch, I don't drink as much tea as I did coffee. Sometimes I would just drink so much coffee, I'm surprised that I didn't give myself a heart attack! Now I have a few cups of tea, and I feel satisfied.
Maybe one day I will give up caffeine altogether, but for right now I feel great with the switch I made. If you've been toying with the idea of giving up coffee, I promise it can be done and there is life after bottomless cups of coffee! Tea is a gentler way to start you're day, and you're body will thank you I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment