Wednesday, November 13, 2019

To Splurge or Not to Splurge

I am a coconut oil girl. I use unrefined coconut oil for moisturizing my face and body, and I use it for cooking. I've been cooking with it for so long I really don't notice the coconut flavor, but I've had people I cook for mention the taste. So, I've been wanting to try avocado oil, but it's so freaking expensive I just never can swing it. And when I can, I prefer to splurge on something a bit more exciting than oil! So, when I saw this at Winco for a really great price I decided to try it. It's a combination of safflower, avocado and coconut oil so it's of course cheaper. I've used it several times and it's a nice, neutral flavored oil. Highly recommend!
I've been gluten free for a little over two years, and I hate it!! Although there are a few gluten free pastas that are okay, they still aren't as good, and when I see people eating regular pasta I feel so incredibly jealous! And bread is the worst. At least with gluten free pastas there are a few brands like Barilla and Trader Joe's that are pretty okay, and reasonably priced. But gluten free bread is insanely expensive, the loaves are much smaller than regular bread, and most of them are terrible!! I get so pissed when I splurge on a seven or eight dollar loaf of bread and it's horrible. I think of the vegan cheese I could have splurged on!
I've looked at this Julia's table gluten free bread a hundred times at Smith's, and never wanted to pay seven dollars just to be disappointed. So, last week when I saw a loaf on a Woohoo sale, I couldn't resist. I bought this and a package of dinner rolls. The dinner rolls were seriously as heavy as a baseball. And they had a really dense but crumbly texture. The bread isn't much better. I definitely don't think soft should be used!!I can't be the only gluten free person on a budget, and even if you aren't on a budget, save your money!! Remember when vegan cheese used to be the worst, and then it seemed like overnight they figured it out and it's all pretty great now? I'm still waiting for that to happen with gluten free bread!
We're still making progress with the girls and boy. Etta used to hiss and then run away from Bubba, so napping face to face with him is quite a big step!!




5 comments:

  1. Awww, that is a sweet photo of Bubba and Etta. Yay for progress!
    I really hoped that that GF bread was going to be good for you, but boo. I am glad at least you got it on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very grateful I got a sale!! It's usually seven dollars a loaf! Insane!
      Etta has come a long way with Bubba. I really love it!!!!

      Delete
  2. I've seen you make a lot of meals without much, including baked brownies and cookies, so why can't you just try making gluten-free bread?

    Rhian's gluten-free vegan bread recipe may be the answer - https://www.rhiansrecipes.com/gluten-free-vegan-bread/

    There's also a free 35 Vegan Thanksgiving and Christmas Recipes cookbook in her blog's sidebar.

    If you try the bread recipe, please let us know how it works out. So glad you're still blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm scared to try bread. I've never even made gluten full bread, so gluten free intimidates me. But you're right, I should try and make my own. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

      Delete
  3. That's too bad about the GF rolls and bread, but the oil blend sounds like it was a really good find!
    Yay for Etta and Bubba, so cute!

    ReplyDelete