Monday, November 25, 2019

Gluten Free Chao Mac and Cheese!

If you've been reading this blog for any amount of time, you probably know that I don't do a lot of holiday things. This isn't the place for holiday recipes or tips. Honestly, holiday foods or I guess traditional American holiday foods aren't really my favorite flavors. In general, American cuisine is my least favorite.
I don't know what came over me, but I decided last week I wanted to come up with a recipe for a side dish that would be a mixed crowd pleaser, and would be hearty and satisfying.
 I decided on gluten free mac and cheese using my favorite vegan cheese, Chao! I feel like Chao makes the best mac and cheese because Chao is thick and has body. It doesn't turn kind of thin and liquid-y like other vegan cheeses. I've made mac and chao for several non vegans, and I always get enthusiastic thumbs up.
This is a super basic sauce. I used cashews and a few seasonings along with the Chao cheese. When I'm making decadent mac and cheese, I think of Stouffer's. I know that sounds funny, but as a kid mac and cheese wasn't really something we ate, and I remember the first time I tried Stouffer's frozen mac and cheese I was in LOVE!!!! So I tried to go for that kind of junky , but oh so creamy cheese sauce.
I think I accomplished my goal! This hit the spot! I had a little garlic-y roasted broccoli on the side. This was hearty enough that if it's the only thing you can eat, you'll be satisfied!!


                                                        Creamy Chao Mac and Cheese!


  • 3/4 C. Raw Cashew Pieces, soaked for at least two hours
  • 3/4 to 1 C. Water
  • 1/4 Tsp. Salt and Pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp. Turmeric
  • 1/4 Tsp. Yellow Mustard
  • 2 T. Nutritional Yeast
  • 5 Slices Chao Original Creamy, plus 3 slices for the end.
  • 1 14 to 16 ounce container of gluten free, or gluten full pasta
Drain your cashews and add them to your blender with the S&P, turmeric, mustard, nutritional yeast, and the five slices of chao cheese. Blend until everything is smooth and creamy. You want the sauce to be pretty thick, but still pourable.
After you've cooked and drained your pasta, add it back to the pot and add your cheese sauce over low heat. Cut the remaining three slices of cheese into small pieces and add them to the pot. Give it all a good stir, cover the pot, turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes. Serve, and enjoy!








2 comments:

  1. This looks really good! So creamy and thick, I agree with you - a thin cheese sauce is always disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your mac & cheese recipes, so I'll be sure to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete