Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Fishless Tacos! Cauliflower for Breakfast! Madness!

Being so cute makes a little guy tired!
I just had my favorite recipe of 2015, General Tso's cauliflower for breakfast. I had half of a cauliflower that needed to be used yesterday, so I decided to start my day with my favorite thing to eat at the moment. I've made it so many times, I feel like I could make it with one arm, or blindfolded, or some other handicap.
I used to really struggle with cooking brown rice. One in every five times came out right. It was so frustrating I stopped buying and cooking brown rice for a really long time. I came across a random website last winter that suggested using eight cups of water for one cup of rice. They said to boil the rice like you would pasta for thirty minutes, drain, and let steam in the pot you cooked it in with a lid for fifteen minutes, and voila fluffy brown rice. Although I was skeptical, I decided to give brown rice one more try, and guess what? This method works every time. I have not had one single fail yet.
I had some Gardein fishless filets in the freezer, so I decided to make an easy dinner last night and make fishless tacos! You know, I know gardein is processed, and obviously we wouldn't want to eat it morning, noon and night, but I was looking at the ingredients last night and they aren't THAT horrible. Like I said, they're no health food, and if you are soy, gluten and or oil free these aren't for you, but otherwise I think they are a delicious treat.
I had some shredded carrots that needed to be used, so I made a quick carrot pickle with rice vinegar, some sugar and salt. I let them mingle for a few hours and they tasted great with the cilantro, lettuce, filets and a little spicy sauce I made with Just mayo and tapatio sauce.
I wanted to give a little update on my hill walking. I am still walking the hill, and as a matter of fact most of the time I walk more than just the hill. In the beginning, I walked up and down the hill. But lately, once I get up the hill I take a side street, and than a little turn, and it just makes the walk a little longer. But I've been doing it naturally, not because I planned it. I also stopped doing it, or expecting myself to do it every day. It is rainy season here, and just for other reasons I was getting stressed out, and then beating myself up if I skipped a day or two. This hill is a good thing, not negative and I was allowing it to become a negative. So now, I just aim to do it two to three times a week. I'm enjoying it much more, and it was when I loosened up that I started going farther, and it became much easier to get motivated. I can kind of see where in the past I've allowed things to become negative because I have put too strict of rules on things. It's all or nothing, win/lose, all of that kind of stuff. It feels good to loosen up, and it feels good to catch myself. As meditation is teaching me, it is okay and I have permission to feel good, and enjoy life.
I feel like I've rambled enough, I hope everyone has a very happy Tuesday!


15 comments:

  1. I am super excited to finally try making the General Tso's cauliflower for my dinner tonight! The fishless tacos look good, too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I can't wait to hear how you liked it! I really hope you enjoy it as much as i do. The sauce would make anything taste good.

      Delete
    2. It turned out great!!! (Apart from some pieces getting a little burnt, so I'll just take them out of the oven sooner next time.) But yes, super tasty, perfect amount of spice, and I'll definitely make it again! Thanks so much for the recipe recommendation! :D

      Delete
    3. Yay!! I'm so glad you loved it! You know what I've started doing? After I've dipped the cauliflower in the sauce, I turn the oven down to 350 and put the pan on the top rack instead of the middle. It seems to keep the edges from getting too burnt.

      Delete
    4. Great idea -- I will have to try that next time! :)

      Delete
  2. I'd bet money that you can make it with one arm AND blindfolded ;)
    Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will challenge myself one of these days! Ha ha. Old me is dying knowing that I ate cauliflower for BREAKFAST of all things!

      Delete
  3. Oooh fishless tacos, what a great way to use the gardein product!! It looks so good! The General Tso's looks really good. Honestly, sometimes you just need some Chinese food for breakfast :) At least that's how we roll here in NY, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Chinese food for breakfast reminds me why it's great to be single! I love the gardein filets. It's funny, I always make tacos out of these, and I never even had a fish taco before gong vegan!

      Delete
  4. My mother was telling me about a recipe she now uses for brown rice, and it something where you bake the rice for an hour or so. She keeps trying to get me to do it, but I haven't had any trouble making brown rice myself (I think the trick for old school method is a nice and heavy pot)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when I was looking for ways to cook perfect brown rice I saw something about baking it. I can't remember how you do it but I remember I was going to try it, but I never got around to it. I think you're right about the pot too.

      Delete
  5. Well done on continuing with the hill, that's brilliant. I've just started using a meditation app on my phone that seems pretty good (and it's free) -it's called Stop, Breathe, Think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check that app out. I'm really enjoying the benefits of meditation, and I think it might be something I continue even after the challenge. Today was super rainy, and I so didn't want to climb that hill, but I did it anyway! I needed the pride and self love today!

      Delete
  6. Cauliflower for breakfast? I'm game!!!! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it would be weird, but it was really delicious!

    ReplyDelete