Sunday, June 28, 2015

A Refreshing New Voice

This video was introduced to me by someone who reads this blog, and I am so glad I got the chance to watch it. I have often wondered why racism isn't discussed more in the vegan community, and I also wonder why we don't address food deserts. It's so easy to get caught up in wanting everyone to go vegan, but access to fresh fruits and vegetables is a luxury that not every one has. And the food shaming is so tiring in the vegan community. We now have tons of vegans who are judging people who are vegan, but not eating the correct vegan foods. It's getting out of hand, and in my opinion taking away from the vegan message.
I have talked about racism many times on this blog, as Erie has a scarily large amount of people who are unbelievably racist. I've mentioned this before, but when I lived in Seattle I truly was in a liberal bubble, and I thought racism was a dying evil. But I have been slapped in the face over and over with the harsh reminder that it is alive and thriving in some parts. It's not going away, adults who are racist are having kids, and raising them to have the same hate in their heart. It's a vicious cycle that continues, and just pretending it doesn't exist isn't helping.
I hope more vegans like this start popping up on YouYube. In my opinion, vegan YouTube could benefit from some new, different voices, and it is so nice hearing someone talk about real issues, not just how much raw, organic fruits and veg we should be eating, and how lean we should all be.
I'm down to my last days in this place. The next two days will be donating things to thrift shops, and cleaning my apartment. Freedom is almost mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment