Tuesday, March 9, 2021

I Finally Made Some Naan!!

 When I decided to have gluten in my diet again, one of the first things I bought was garlic naan bread from Trader Joe's. While it was okay, and of course tasted AMAZING after years of no gluten, I wasn't crazy about the naan. It's very small, thick pieces as opposed to the larger, thinner pieces of naan that I'm used to. They have naan in their freezer section that looks more like what I want, but it isn't vegan. 

After that I checked the Indian market near my place, and alas all their naan has dairy too. I have been enjoying their paratha bread, but it still isn't fluffy naan!

I Googled some recipes, even found some plain, unsweetened vegan yogurt on clearance, and then for the past few weeks have been scared to make the naan. I don't know why I had such a fear, maybe because I've had so many gluten free fails over the years. I used to be a pretty confident cook, but something changed.

Anyway, my vegan clearance yogurt needs to be used, and I can't imagine eating plain yogurt(blech) so it was either waste food or make naan! Plus, yesterday I was feeling super low and lentil dal is always what I crave when blue.


I can't believe I had such success! I was worried because every single recipe I found said to use a cast iron pan which I don't have. I'm sure a cast iron pan would make it better, but this was still pretty great!


I love when I can use bread as a utensil!! The recipe made quite a bit, so now I have lots of naan in my freezer for whenever I need. I eat a lot of curry dishes so it won't last long! I used this recipe if anyone is looking. Very simple to follow and delicious results! Also, it didn't need a lot of hands on time, and the recipe made a lot, so it's very budget friendly. Naan bread is expensive at a store!


4 comments:

  1. Wow! I haven't had naan since I went vegan but I'd love to have some! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first and last time making Naan was using the broiler and resulted in a burned hand! Glad this worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade naan is so good! I need to make some soon. Also, our Sprouts has vegan naan in the bakery section. Have you looked there? In case you don't feel like making it from scratch next time!

    ReplyDelete