Tuesday, July 2, 2019

That Budget Life

Yesterday I was downtown, on my way home when I remembered that I needed an onion. I was near a grocery called Harmons which I never shop at because they are ridiculously overpriced, but it was nine million degrees and I didn't feel like taking another bus somewhere else so I bought the overpriced onion.
I wondered around a bit to see what fancy vegan stuff they had, and I saw these new to me deli slices. I haven't even seen these on the Gram! They look so real!
They had four flavors, one was veggie carpaccio, and one was lupini bean. Sorry for the horrible picture, I feel very, very, very out of place at Harmons so I just tried to be very quick. Anyway, I always love when I see new vegan stuff, even if I can't afford it! It means the demand is up! I do sometimes hate seeing the high prices because I fear it discourages vegan curious people who might think they can't afford to eat vegan food.
Speaking of budgets and food, last night I had the classic budget vegan meal, rice and beans!! Jamaican rice and beans to be exact! I've never been to Jamaica, so I cannot speak on the authenticity of this dish, but I can say it is incredible. And you would never guess it's a very inexpensive dish! I used this recipe, subbing coconut oil for the butter. It's so good, the coconut milk makes this dish so incredibly rich and satisfying. Highly recommend!



10 comments:

  1. The veggie meat slices look so real, it's insane! I think I'd be a little put off by it and I'd definitely never spend that much on it. I'll stick to tofurky, ha!

    Your meal looks incredible!! I'm going to have to check it out, it looks amazing and I bet the coconut milk makes it that much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like six dollars a package, and there aren't many slices!! Someone on the Gram mentioned that they actually bought some in Italy and they really liked them.
      I really, really love that recipe. The coconut milk really makes it nice and rich!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow! I've never seen those. And they do look pricy! $6. Geeeez. That rice and beans meal looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rice and beans recipe is definitely one of my favorite recipes!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Sarah; the deli slices look a bit too real for me, haha! Your budget meal looks fantastic; I don't think I've ever used coconut milk in rice before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut milk takes rice up to a whole new level!!!

      Delete
  4. They look so real! There are so many new options, it's hard to keep track of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like anytime I go anywhere there are new options and it's really amazing! I just wish all the fun things weren't so expensive!

      Delete
  5. I've lost my sense of pricing for real meat, but from what I recall, proscuitto is really expensive, so if you were substituting that price doesn't seem drastically different. I would probably get really excited and try it, but that's me--mostly because I LOVED proscuitto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone on Instagram told me that they tried the vegan prosciutto in Italy and they said it was too realistic for them!!
      I hope you can find it sometime to try! I've never had it so it isn't really something I'm dying to try!

      Delete