Wednesday, May 20, 2015

It's Cheap, Spicy, and Easy to be Vegan!!

I got artistic with the hot sauce!
This is a dinner that is a regular dish in the wintertime. It is cheap, tasty, very easy to add whatever is on hand, and the leftovers taste even better! It's just rice, and beans layered with tortillas and a green chili cashew cream. I also added some thinly sliced tomato cayenne Chao slices. I have made this dish at least a million times, and it is good with or without vegan cheese. You can use white or brown rice. I've made it using millet, I'm sure quinoa or even farro or bulger would work. I've also used just about every bean in my pantry. You can add whatever vegetable you might like. What I'm trying to say is this is a flexible meal. Last night I blended a 4.5 oz. can of green chillies with 1/2 cup soaked cashews, plus 1/4 C. soaked sunflower seeds and about 1/2 half C. of water. After blending I stirred in 1/4 C. nutritional yeast and a pinch of turmeric. I usually make this dish when I have that little bit of salsa at the end of the jar. It's also delicious with a tomato based enchilada type of sauce.
I of course didn't write down an exact recipe, but it's pretty much done like a lasagne. First, a little sauce, then some tortillas. You can use corn, or flour, I've made it with both. Last night I used flour. Then, grain, bean, whatever veg, vegan cheese if using, and more sauce. Build as many layers as you want, and then bake at 350 Fahrenheit for about 25-30 minutes. Let rest for at least ten or fifteen minutes before slicing. Like I said, this is tasty with or without vegan cheese. It's a tasty, comforting meal that is super cheap, but you don't feel like you are eating "poor".  It drives me nutso when people accuse a vegan diet of being expensive. Any diet can be expensive. There are some vegan specialty foods that I will probably never try in my life because of the price. Some things I would never buy even if I were rich just on principle. But there are so many foods that are cheap, and with a little creativity you can eat well. I truly feel that I learned a lot about cooking through extreme financial droughts.
The next time you have that little bit of salsa at the end of your jar, try blending it with some soaked cashews, or sunflower seeds, and a little nutritional yeast. Instant vegan Queso! Great for this recipe, nachos, spicy mac&cheese, baked potato topper, burrito topper, and whatever else you can think of.
Vegan food doesn't have to be bland, or expensive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment