Monday, March 23, 2015

Tale as Old as Time

Last night I just couldn't be bothered with cooking, so I decided it was a great night to try Beyond Meat's new veggie burger, The Beast. The burgers come two in a package, both burgers wrapped together in plastic. Right away I noticed that the burgers are bigger than a lot of veggie burgers. The directions say to grill, or cook in a pan on the stovetop, but I put my burger on a baking sheet and baked it in a 350 degree oven for about seven or eight minutes. They cook very quickly.(bonus!) These burgers are similar to Gardein's beefless burger in that they are very juicy, and somewhat oily. Not in a bad way, but these are clearly designed to please standard burger lovers. I once heard a famous chef say he doesn't want to eat a burger that doesn't dribble juices down his arm when he bites into it. Well, this Beast of a burger would give him all the drippings he could ever want! The burger was slightly smoky, I'm sure grilling these would amp up the smoke factor. They had a very rich, savory taste, and again, they are pretty huge! I had mine on an Ozery Bakery sandwich bun, with some romaine, Dijon, and a schmear of Just Mayo. It was super filling, and was satisfying in that kind of greasy, fast food way. (I mean greasy in the best way possible!)
The burgers are kind of packing some serious heat in the nutrition department. They are gluten and soy free, and non-GMO.  They are full of protein, and according to the box they contain more Omegas than salmon. They also have vitamins B-6, B-12, and C, D, and E. Although the ingredient list is somewhat lengthy, the ingredients are things you recognize, and for the most part can pronounce.
These burgers are delicious, and I feel they would really satisfy someone who is transitioning, or trying to cut back on their meat consumption. This would also wipe the smug of off people's faces who think vegans live on salads, seaweed, and twigs. The fact that they are relatively good for you is just an extra bonus.
So, I've said all of my pros, I have just one con. As with a lot of faux things in the vegan world, these babies are a little pricey. I paid $ 7.00 for a box, which has two burgers in it. Zoinks. If someone has a family of four, with say a couple of people who might eat more than one burger, that's a little much, in my opinion. Wegman's sells Gardein's beefless burgers under their name, and you get a package of four burgers for $3.99. To be honest, if I ever feel the need for a super "beefy" vegan burger, I would go for Gardein.
If you have the money to splurge, you really won't be disappointed in these burgers!

No comments:

Post a Comment