Sunday, March 15, 2015

Success of the Twilight Bark

Sometimes it can be intimidating as a vegan to go to request certain foods at either a restaurant or grocery store. I'm sure every vegan and vegetarian has a few stories of getting strange looks, or snide comments. Sometimes the thought of dealing with such rudeness can make it not even seem worth it to make requests. Well, I have a story to remind us all that we count too, and we should make requests!
Many months ago, when I first started reading about Beyond Meat, I knew I had to try it. So, I requested it at the local Co-op. No one there had ever heard of it, and they said they would look into it. Well, the next time I went there, they had Beyond Meat beefless crumbles, along with the lightly seasoned chicken free strips. The person who works in that section said they were selling like crazy! And ever since that time, I have noticed that often times they are all sold out. Around the same time, I requested Earth Balance cheddar squares, and also their boxed mac and cheese. The employees were excited to hear that there were vegan cheese its on the market! So, yesterday when I was shopping, the person who I had originally talked to about the Beyond  Meat informed me that they now have the Beast Burger from Beyond  Meat! I was so excited to have another veggie burger option! And what happened next was music to my ears! He told me I was the one who started the whole she-bang by letting them know about Beyond Meat in the first place! It was a great moment, and it kind of made up for other times I've been treated like a weirdo.
It's up to us to spread the word, and say that we want other options besides Lay's, Kraft, and Tyson. And now more than ever, people are veg. curious. I want amazing products to be available not just for me, but for people who aren't fully committed to the lifestyle. I want them to see that meatless Monday doesn't have to be a painful affair.
If you're like me, and you don't have  a Whole Foods, or Trader Joe's, or any kind of super vegan friendly store in your area just ask someone. Worst case is you get a side-eye or a snide comment, and that won't kill you, trust me. The best case is you get what you asked for, which is awesome for you, for other people, and most importantly the animals we want to save!
Does anyone know where this post title came from?

No comments:

Post a Comment