Thursday, February 26, 2015

All we need is just a little Patience

Patience wasn't something that I was taught as a child, or was it practiced in my household. I've been making a conscience effort to work on developing patience with myself, and others. I'm starting to realize how much yoga is helping me. I don't know what's going on, but it seems like in the past month or so I've really been noticing a positive shift in my yoga practice. I have been working on some of these poses for what feels like years, just stuck at the same spot, not getting worse, but certainly not getting better. I have cursed, cried, and gotten pissed at whoever is teaching the class. I have gotten pissed at myself, and sworn that never would I ever try this that or the other pose again. I have said twists aren't my thang, hip openers aren't for everyone, and so on and so forth. But I do always go back. I always know that my irritation is all the more reason to keep trying. So last week I had a yoga breakthrough, and this morning I noticed my twists are getting way twistier, and poses that I still struggle with, I'm struggling less. I'm noticing improvement. It feels so amazing, and I realized that being patient with myself is what is leading to this progress. I have kept doing yoga, kept trying and I'm reaping the benefits. If I would have gotten pissed, and given up, as I have done with many other things, I would be an struggling, untwisty mess. By the way, twists are detoxifying so every time I feel myself twisting farther, I imagine I'm closer and closer to the happy, healthy place I want to be. It's a great visual. I hope to take my newfound knowledge, and desire of and for patience "off of the mat" as I hear a lot of yogi's say. Having patience seems to free up a lot of your mind for other, more positive thoughts. Being impatient leads to stress, and we all need less of that.
Something that I think kind of goes hand in paw with patience is not taking anything personally. One of my absolute favorite YouTube yoga channels is Fightmaster  Yoga, which is run(led?) by Lesley Fightmaster. At the end of her classes, when you are relaxing in your savasana,(final resting pose) she reads passages from some amazing books. The last few videos have been from a book called The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom, by Miguel Ruiz. I must get my hands on this book. But the passages have been about how nothing, even someone calling you a name right to your face is personal. I look forward to these passages, they're very helpful, and I want to learn more. I feel like all of these things lead to being the most compassionate being you can be.
I'm going to stop here, I don't want to go on a babble-a-thon like I did yesterday.
"Progress, not Perfection".

No comments:

Post a Comment