Monday, February 18, 2019

Snowy Sunday Eats

I started my day with this delicious carrot, ginger, celery, apple and orange juice. The ginger really helps cut the celery taste. This gives me more pep than a cup of coffee.
Later on I had a rice cake with peanut butter, banana and blueberries. I'm loving rice cakes lately. So much cheaper than gluten free crackers or bread! I also had a rice cake with caramelized onion hummus.But it was so good I forgot to take a picture!
I've never had Cedar's hummus before, and I really try not to buy packaged hummus but I couldn't resist buy one get one. And I am a sucker for caramelized onion hummus. Guys, it's so freaking good. The balsamic really makes it. I'm going to have to try and recreate this because I want to eat it all the time!!
I made a simple pasta salad with tri color quinoa pasta, black olives, carrot, red pepper and green onion. And Italian dressing of course. I love that pasta salad you get at delis that's always a little too mushy and drowning in dressing. I had some on top of a regular green salad. This was so tasty! It reminded me of summer as I watched the snowfall.
This ugly looking bowl of food was actually super delicious! I made Moo Shu veggies and tofu. I used this recipe. I had mine over rice instead of a tortilla. I could have had lettuce wraps but I wasn't thinking. Either way this was so tasty.



13 comments:

  1. That pasta salad looks great. And I think the rice was a better partner for the Moo Shu veggies than either the tortilla or the lettuce wraps, IMHO.

    The Cedars brand hummus has been here on the East coast for years. I think that was the second one that came into the mainstream market after Tribe of Two Sheiks. Now we also have Sabra brand, which is my personal favorite. Still haven't been able to find that Lantana you're always raving about, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Sabra too, that used to be my favorite until I met Lantana. I hope you can find it sometime, it's so freaking good! I remember checking their website and it's sold on the east coast.

      Delete
  2. I don't know that I've ever met a pasta salad I did not like. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! It's just so good. I remember I used to get a cold pesto pasta salad somewhere in Seattle and it was so freaking good! I need to try and recreate that!

      Delete
  3. What a delicious day!!
    I actually randomly bought rice cakes the other day myself, some new to me brand that was on sale and they’re kind of thin. Rice cakes with pb and apple slices ontop were a favorite snack as a kid and such a great combo!
    Your pasta salad sounds waaaayyyy better than any other version i’ve had. And I’m craving summery stuff too!! Lately i’m having semi defrosted mango chunks from trader joe’s with my hot tea as dessert, i can’t be trusted to cut fresh mangos and not destroy them or cut myself....
    Food52 has some great vegan recipes on their site!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot how great rice cakes are. And I like that they can go sweet or savory.
      I want all the summer fruit! I always destroy fresh mangoes when I cut them.

      Delete
  4. I haven't had rice cakes for ages, but every now and then will fall back into them. I prefer the rice thins, I find the thicker cakes a bit to gummy when I eat them. But they are such great vehicles for toppings! I need to get a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like super thick ones either. But they're so good with all kinds of flavors, an cheaper than gluten free crackers!

      Delete
  5. This is my quick and easy go-to recipe for caramelized onion hummus.

    Adding balsamic is simple. When onions start to turn a golden brown during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

    If you try it, I hope you like it :).

    Marjorie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like to make caramelized onion hummus but I've never thought to a balsamic which now seems like such a huge mistake!!!
      Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  6. Ooooooh yes! Everything looks incredible and I have to say caramelized onions make EVERYTHING better. I need to make the moo shoo veggies, it looks amazing and that is one of my favorite dishes to get! I think I'll be putting it on the menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rice cakes are totally underrated! I like the brown rice nori ones because they are crunchier and has a little umami flavor. Mmm... now you got me thinking about topping it with some chickpea salad. Maybe that will be my next lunch when I go grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pasta salad looks so summery and the Moo Shu veggies bowl sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete