Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Bye Bye Bye Dairy!

I had to run into Smith's yesterday for cat food and of course red lentils and I was super surprised to see more new plant milks!
Even Quaker is getting in on the oatmilk craze!! I know people have been loving Oatly milk which I have still not seen anywhere. I like that Quaker is making plant milk because I feel like that's a brand we all know and maybe non vegans who are curious but suspicious might be more willing to try something weird to them from such a mainstream brand?
It's so cool to see all these plant milks. It wasn't that long ago when our only choices were soy and rice milk, and they were sold only in the shelf stable boxes. And I remember the soy milk would curdle if you added it to hot coffee or tea. Now Quaker is selling oatmilk!
I bought this at Trader Joe's quite awhile ago. Before the holidays. It was an impulse buy. I've never had truffles that aren't chocolate, but I know they are expensive, and super fancy. And people lose their minds over them. I've never known what to do with it because I don't really make fancy food.
Last night I made some oven fries and tofu nuggets so I decided to use some of the salt on my potatoes. I guess I didn't use enough because the fries didn't have any super magical flavor punch. I think next time I'll try it with mushrooms. I was reading that truffles compliment the flavor of mushrooms really well. Any other suggestions for truffle salt?
I mean, it looks like I staged this picture, but no these two were sleeping like this all on their own!!




11 comments:

  1. I think you should've saved that cat photo for February 14!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! Although Kiki is always finding sweet ways to cuddle, so hopefully there will be another heart moment like this!

      Delete
  2. OMG THE KITTIES!!!! They are too adorable! I love it so much. How great that Quaker is making oat milk at such a great price point too! I hope it is good because I would definitely buy that.

    I've never tried truffle salt either and too bad it didn't add a ton of flavor. The dinner bowl does look delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm scared to try oatmilk because I made homemade oatmilk once and I really didn't like it. It was kind of chalky and sweet. But I hear people raving about Oatly so I just don't know!!! But I det the vanilla flavor is probably great!
      I think the problem is I didn't add enough. There's a lot more salt than truffle so I was scared of making the potatoes too salty. The potatoes were still awesome though!

      Delete
  3. The Oatly brand oat milk can be pricey, looks like those are a much better price! So exciting!! I actually read that dairy farmers have been seriously impacted in recent years because so many people are switching to plant based milks!! My parents actually swapped to almond milk a few years ago after i made them try mine and they not only loved it but appreciated it’s actually a lot cheaper than organic dairy.
    I love truffle salt- I didn’t buy it at TJs but i suspect theirs just has a lot more salt and less truffle... it’s best used as a “finishing salt”, ie add to the fries after baking, or mushrooms after cooking them. Just use it for any savory dish, or sprinkle on cucumber slices for a snacky thing.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been reading those articles too!! And seriously at work I swear I see more almond milk than regular coming down my aisle. And it'a not all vegans either so it's a big step!! And the plant milk section is almost bigger than regular milk! That's awesome that your parents use almond milk.
      The Trader Joe's truffle salt is a lot more salt than truffle. That's why I didn't add very much. Next time I'll add some after cooking, and not add any regular salt so it's not too salty. And I'll definitely try it on cucumbers!

      Delete
  4. I love oat milk! According to America's Test Kitchen it's also really good for baking but I've not tried that.

    I remember when the only place I could buy non-dairy milk was the specialty health food store downtown and I'd never heard of Whole Foods at all. I had to go off dairy for about a year in college for medical reasons and I would make the trek out to that store and get the one variety of soy ice cream they had and the soy milk. I think they also had soy cheese, which was weird and refused to melt. I'm so glad we have so many options now. I'm comfortable with being vegan now, but the early days were super scary for me. The transition is definitely easier when it becomes more mainstream and prices go down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's good for baking because when I made homemade oatmilk it had a sweetness that I didn't like for savory. I'm not much of a baker but I'll have to remember that because sometimes I do like to bake.
      I remember those days too! It was intimidating. I went many years not eating cheese because the two vegan cheeses I could find were pretty terrible!
      It's definitely gotten more mainstream, I'm still waiting for the prices to go down!

      Delete
  5. Sweet snuggles!
    I love oat milk for my regular daily milk, great to see so many brands embracing it!
    Thanks for the earworm, BTW, thankfully I love the song Bye Bye Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. They are the freaking sweetest!
      I am shocked by how many brands of oatmilk there are. I think Silk has an oatmilk too!

      Delete
  6. The closest I got to truffles is that I would order things with truffle infused oils. Which are tasty, but never used truffle salt. But a quick google search suggested:
    Eggs (maybe scrambled tofu?)
    French Fries
    Popcorn
    Mac and Cheese (perhaps a mild tasting vegan mac?)
    Avocado

    I am also glad Quakers is breaking in the oat milk market. I mean I am not a devoted Quakers fan, but it does give hope that a major company could make prices drop, or make new products like oat ice cream and yogurt. Side note- I remember eating oat ice cream WAY LONG before this oat milk crazy, at least like 12-13 years ago. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete