Friday, February 8, 2019

Hits and Misses

I picked this up two weeks ago at Trader Joe's and I keep forgetting to sing about how delicious it is! It's lemony and minty with a kick of ginger. It is so refreshing I find myself craving it! There are pretty big pieces of dried lemon and dried ginger. It's one of my new favorites. An it's only $1.99 a bag!! It's really nice to have first thing in the morning, the mint really wakes up your senses.
This was my compromise when I wanted junky food, but I also wanted to eat healthy. I made some kitchari and had it with two diner style hash browns. One of my favorite things about cooking for just me is that I can have whatever weird food combo I want!!
I bought rice paper wrappers months ago at the Asian market. I don't know why because I am not good at making summer rolls. Well, yesterday I watched a video that involved summer rolls and I got a serious craving. I guess I've had too many successes in the kitchen and I needed to be humbled. Out of about ten attempts I got these three made. Keep in mind that while they look a mess, they are even messier once you bite into them. I didn't roll them tight enough, so when I bit into the roll everything just plopped out. Womp Womp.
Joan was just laying in this position for the longest time the other day! I call it her Ooh La La pose!




11 comments:

  1. Oooh that tea sounds so good! Trader Joe's has the best finds! I like your compromise meal. It looks perfect! The summer rolls look great, I made them once and what a pain in the ass, ha! Yours look delicious and I bet they were great with that sauce!

    Sweet Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea is so good!
      Summer rolls are delicious, but they're so stressful and such a pain!! But they were really tasty!!

      Delete
  2. I love adding hash browns to meals when I need a little extra something! And I know I'll make a mess of rolling summer rolls, so I've only ever made rice paper bacon from the wrappers, haha! Joan is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think hash browns make everything better!
      Ha, I'll probably make rice paper bacon with the rest. Summer rolls are too much of a pain!!

      Delete
  3. You’re so good at making sushi I’m surprised the rice paper rolls gave you trouble. They’re definitely a pain in the ass!! I’ve made them a few times and doubt I’ll volunteer to do it again. So much easier to just make a salad bowl with the same ingredients or even a lettuce wrap
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to figure out why I can roll sushi and not summer rolls and I just don't know. But you're so right, summer roll bowls are sooooo much easier!

      Delete
  4. I made some summer rolls recently and had better sucess than I had in the past. But I did have a moment of panic like "WHAT AM I DOING?!" I find it is best to just run the paper underwater and get it JUST wet. Then wait a minute, then fill and fold. That way it is't TOO mushy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's what I do wrong. I get the wrappers pretty wet. UUUGGGHHH, if I decide to brave summer rolls again I'll try your technique!

      Delete
    2. Oddly I learned it that was from Diners Drive In's and Dives. I don't think anyone does it that way other than the lady on that show lol She is Vietnamese though, so she clearly knows what she is doing lol

      Delete
  5. Oh Joan, so fetching!
    I also am not the best with rice paper roll rolling. But they taste so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had some misses lately but it has been to me not wanting to go shopping for ingredients I lack...lol...like today I had black beans with seasoning and had to pitch them. I hated throwing away food but they turned out awful! YIKES!

    ReplyDelete