Thursday, October 23, 2014

Shave that Brussel!

Last night I made something for dinner that was so easy and delicious that even though I am a dweeb and have no pictures, and not even an exact recipe, I want to talk about it anyway. I found a great deal on Brussels sprouts at Wegmen's, and I love roasted Brussels sprouts, that is the first way that I ever tried them, and years ago I tried steaming them, and NO. I do not think the texture is okay steamed at all. I think at least 90% of people who say they don't like Brussels don't like them because they probably tried them steamed. Anyway, I wanted to do something different, but similar, and I also was craving pasta, so I needed to put the two things together. I thinly sliced, or shredded almost about a half to 3/4 of a pound of Brussels, and started sautéing them in a pan with maybe a tablespoon of olive oil, then after about 5 minutes, I added three cloves of minced garlic, salt, pepper, and cause I'm a spicy girl, crushed red pepper. Meanwhile I boiled up some water, and made some angel hair pasta, which I undercooked, added about 1/4 of a cup of the pasta water to the pan of Brussels and garlic, drained the pasta, and added it to the mix, and cooked for about one minute. Then, for a final bit of flair, I sprinkled in some beloved nutritional yeast. It was so delicious, and I love sautéed Brussels now, in addition to roasted! I think sautéed Brussels would be good in a hash, with some onion and potato, and maybe served alone, or if your sassy, some tofu scramble, and toast. I was also thinking they would be really good over some brown rice with a tahini garlic sauce. The point is that this dish was easily done in ten minutes, and I only used two pans, so easy clean up as well. And thanks to an amazing sale that Wegmen's had on Brussels sprouts, this meal was super cheap, well under five dollars, and I had dinner, and will eat the leftovers for lunch. I used regular old angel hair pasta, but obviously if you have gluten sensitivities, gluten free pasta will totally work, or whole grain whatever your heart desires.
This experience, and my recent buffalo cauliflower experience has really taught me to not get stuck in such food ruts, and keep on trying foods that maybe you've never liked, but prepared a different way. It will only make you gag at worst, it won't kill you! And sometimes you only need two little ingredients, with a little seasoning, and it is still very tasty and interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment