Sunday, October 5, 2014

I'm into the Good, Pure Stuff Man

About three or so weeks ago I noticed a clearance bin at my local Co-op. I spotted a bottle of jojoba oil, and decided to give it a try. I didn't know much at the time, other than it's a common ingredient in lots of different lotions and potions, so it truly was an "impulse buy".  I did my nerdy duty and researched all the benefits of jojoba oil, and let me tell you, there are a lot of wonderful benefits.
Firstly, jojoba is an oil extracted from the seeds of an evergreen shrub. It is completely odorless, and they say tasteless, although  I didn't test that one out personally. It is amazing for skin care, as it is apparently it is very similar to skin oil, or sebum. It's thought that because it is so similar to our own skin, that when applied, it can trick the skin into thinking it is producing enough oil, which helps balance the skin. This is very beneficial to anyone suffering from acne, or very oily skin. Jojoba oil is also rich in natural fats which mimic the fats in the outer layer of our skin, so again, when applied it can help retain moisture. It can help soothe sunburnt skin, and also be used on lips to help with dryness! I even read that it can help with hair growth, as it helps unclog hair follicles, which promote hair growth. It can help condition dry hair also. And one of the coolest facts I learned is that it has a crazy long shelf life, like I'm talking years!
I first started using it on my very dry from dog washing hands, and I noticed a difference right away. Then, I put a few drops on my fingers and rubbed it into my scalp before washing with my no poo, and I had the shiniest hair ever! Seriously those hair shine serums, gels, and sprays have nothing on jojoba oil! For about a week now, I've been mixing a few drops of jojoba with a little coconut oil for my facial moisturizer, and I couldn't be happier with the results.
The temperature has dropped in the past two days, and usually my skin reacts in a very dry way to the temperature change, but I noticed this morning that my face showed no usual dryness. I'm only dry and shriveled on the inside now. Ha. I'm taking my detox bath today, and I plan on dropping a few drops in my bath, so all of my skin can benefit.
The brand that I bought was Desert Essence. I bought a four ounce bottle, and I can't recall the price, but like I said it was in a clearance bin. When I was researching the common price seemed to be around 5.99 to 6.99 for four ounces. From what I read, just make sure whatever brand you buy is pure jojoba oil, not mixed with anything else.
If you find coconut oil a little to heavy on your skin, you will probably love jojoba oil. It is extremely lightweight, and it absorbs so quickly and easily into your skin, and doesn't leave a residue. From everything I read, it is completely safe for sensitive skin, and allergies, but if you have any of those issues definitely proceed with caution, and check things out yourself, which of course everyone should do.
Another small comment about the price, this stuff will last you for a long time. A few drops goes far, so it is a beauty bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment