Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Rice and Tofu Remix

Usually when I bake tofu, I marinate it in some type of soy sauce/sesame oil/ sriracha sauce type of marinade. Depending on what I'm using the tofu for, I might add a drop or two of liquid smoke. The point I'm trying to make is that I always flavor it in some way. The other day my stomach was feeling off, and I wanted to bake some tofu, but none of my usual flavors sounded good. So, I pre-heated the oven, put about a teaspoon of coconut oil on a baking sheet, put it in the oven to melt the oil, (about 30-45 seconds.) and then I sliced the tofu, sprinkled salt and pepper, and baked it for about 30-40 minutes at about 350 degrees, turning once, halfway through. I have to say it's a new fave. It would be great in sandwiches, especially breakfast sandwiches, if you stop baking after about 25 minutes or so, it really is a good substitute for an egg, texture wise. And the small amount of coconut oil adds a fatty richness that tofu lacks on its own. I think it's nice sometimes to have a less flavored baked tofu that you can flavor up however your recipe or imagination calls for.
Another awesome coconut oil tip I learned from The Vegan Zombie, which is one of my original finds on YouTube, and has remained one of my favorite channels. Anyway, I watched one of their more recent videos on how to make an awesome burrito, and I believe his name is Jon, (one of the vegan zombies) suggested stirring in a tablespoon of unrefined coconut oil after you have cooked your rice. I was intrigued, and I happened to be having Bibimbap for dinner, which The Vegan Zombie is where I got my first recipe for Bibimbap,(it's so about the sauce!). So I stirred about a tablespoon of the oil, and it just makes the rice so luxurious I really can't explain, you have to try it. Unless you're oil free of course! I don't know if I can ever eat rice any other way now. I think brown rice especially sometimes needs a little help, a little boost, especially if it doesn't have some type of sauce. That's my opinion anyway. So thanks to those awesome Zombies for so many great recipes, and for giving plain old rice new life!
I am starting to look into various blogger tutorials offered online, so hopefully sometime in my lifetime this blog will improve, and I will be able to experiment with pretty pictures, and links, and all those other things other blogs have that mine doesn't. Lofty goals I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment