Wednesday, October 22, 2014

I Now Scream for Gelato

About two weeks ago, I was doing some grocery shopping, and as I was perusing the little natural foods section where most of the vegan specialty items can be found, and I noticed a new to me vegan ice cream. It's called Dream, and the flavor I got was sea salt caramel. It's an almond based gelato. I also saw a black cherry flavor, as well as a coconut almond flavor. I looked them up online, and they have a total of eight different flavors, including a café latte flavor that I bet is to die for. I guess it is Rice Dream(the company) maybe now they just go by dream because they have ventured into more than rice milk? I don't know all the little deets, all I really know is that this gelato was so delicious, and now I want to live in a salted caramel world. I really didn't think I would ever have anything salted caramel as a vegan. I find vegan caramels to be very unavailable where I live, and the one time I did see some they were not in my budget at all. I also tried to make vegan caramel once and in all seriousness it was traumatizing and resulted in a scorched pan, and a scorched ego. So, back to this gelato. It is way lower calories than typical vegan ice creams, coming in at 140 calories per half cup. And the ingredient list isn't too weird, it is non-gmo, and what really surprised me is that it is sweetened with brown rice syrup. I would have never guessed, and I can usually spot brown rice syrup. When it thaws a little, it is so creamy, it seems just like ice cream, and the salted caramel is so delicious! Truth be told, I've never had salted caramel, vegan or not, so I guess I can't compare, but I have had caramel, and this tasted like caramel! The salt wasn't obvious, it was just happy to quietly be in the background, adding interesting flavor. It is also gluten free, if that is an issue for you. I think that this is another one of those awesome vegan treats that could easily please any omnivore. It is creamy, rich and satisfying.
I get so down and frustrated sometimes that we are not getting anywhere with the vegan movement, and people are not giving an eff, but I have to keep reminding myself that something is happening, otherwise we wouldn't have all these vegan treats. I mean, now we vegans can have gelato, not just vegan ice cream. And I was able to find this gelato in the Mccity that I live in. So, it's not happening as fast as I would like, but slowly things are happening, and these companies are making really delicious things, and that is how we can get people to eat cruelty free, by making it delicious. My parents are very suspicious of all things vegan, and actually at times are quite offensive, and they believe vegans want to cram spirulina into everything, and I believe they would eat this and love it. I would just tell them it's vegan after they eat it! Anyway, if you see this gelato at your local grocery, I really recommend it, for everyone, vegans and non-vegans.

No comments:

Post a Comment