Thursday, January 14, 2021

The New Normal

 I've really been struggling to post for the past week or so. I just feel so incredibly sad and scared. I keep hoping that the feelings will go away a bit, but so far they haven't. Maybe this is just the new normal. 

I haven't really been eating a lot of exciting food. Lots of rice and lentils. Lentils, rice and tofu are just always so soothing when I feel off for whatever reason. 

My oven also broke over the weekend, so for five days I could only use my stove top. 


I made this delicious crispy, spicy tofu the other day. Recipe here. This is incredible, I will definitely be making this again! It's so balanced, a little sweet and salty and a little spicy. The leftovers were even better!


I ran to Whole Foods for some Nag Champa, and found these two gems! Their vegan shreds were on sale for $1.99 if you're a prime member, which I am currently trialing! This pizza was on sale too, and it looks so good! I love using hummus as a quick pasta sauce, so why wouldn't it be great on pizza?


I've always wanted to try these, and now that I can have gluten I finally did! Ten out of ten recommend. These have a great texture, and the cheddar flavor is great, and not fake. I find a lot of vegan cheese cracker type things have a fake, almost daiya like flavor. it has been a long time, but these very much remind me of cheeze-its!


I finally tried thes Aloo Parathas I picked up at the Indian market! These are stuffed with spiced potatoes. They aren't spicy at all, but they are very flavorful. Incredible. Next I want to try the lentil stuffed version!

Served with tofu lentil curry!


Another outstanding vegan option found at Smith's! Everything is coming up oatmilk! This is really creamy, and a bit light, almost mousse like in texture. I wish it had a bit more peanut butter, but still mighty tasty! 


6 comments:

  1. I MUST try those crackers! I think I've seen them and didn't realize they were vegan. I'm such a cheese cracker fan, but the Earth Balance ones are so hard to find these days. The lentil & rice bowl looks so soothing right now. It is a very scary time, but better days are coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lordy...that spicy, crunchy tofu looks good. As far as how you're feeling, I think everyone [sane] is in the same boat. Frightening as things have been, at least that shitshow opened a lot of eyes on Capitol Hill to reality. Hang tough, kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see some justice; I think the world will seem less scary with accountability. But I also think that what you feel is normal, and shared, and I'm glad you found some good food in the midst of it. It's been hard for me to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are scary at the moment, in so many ways. <3
    The food you have found looks really good! I am intrigued by the hummus and kale pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say you are not alone in feeling like that. One day at a time hopefully things will get better. Sending love xxx ps - did you get my email at Christmas, check your spam folder if not x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with ya! That's mostly why I haven't blogged for a whole YEAR and then some. You are finding some awesome items! LOVE seeing them!

    ReplyDelete