Sunday, February 2, 2020

Food and Drink!


I got stuck in a rabbit hole of budget/frugal moms on YouTube. Although I'm not a mom, and they aren't vegan, I oddly feel like I found my people. I've also been on a serious declutter mission, so those two things inspired this meal of soup beans and cornbread. A total pantry meal. I used great northern beans for the soup, and masa flour which has been in my pantry for forever for the cornbread. I used this recipe with vegan subs of course!
Breakfast potatoes and salad for breakfast one day. I tried a cowboy BBQ spice blend I found on clearance at Sprouts for $.99, it tastes great on potatoes!
Finished up the last of my gluten free tortillas with some refried bean quesadillas dipped in buffalo sauce.
Blood orange and carrot juice

Celery and apple juice
Matcha coconut milk latte
Orange peach mango water kefir!!
Crispbread with Miyoko's un-lox cream cheese
I've had these damn rice papers in my pantry for so long because I just can't make salad rolls to save myself. I tried quite some time ago, pulled out my hair and never looked back, until decluttering started. I watched a few tutorials, took a deep breath and tried again. As you can see I rolled the world's worst salad rolls and almost lost my mind. I still have five million stupid rice paper wraps, and no idea what to do with them!
Sometimes I just want a bowl of seasoned curly fries. I haven't had these in awhile and this meal hit all the spots.
Dessert!






6 comments:

  1. I made some rice summer rolls I loved a while ago and really should make more (because I still have wraps, too!). I found putting sesame seeds on the rice paper covered up a multitude of sins. Also, don't get the rice paper too soft. Here's my effort: https://foodfordissertating.blogspot.com/2019/08/monbento-original-7-double-tier.html

    I totally know what you mean about those extreme food budget YouTubers! I keep watching them make $10 last a week and it's pretty cool even though I'd never eat most of their meals. I'd love it if someone did a vegan version of those, and you might be just the person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a youtube video where a guy did a bunch of stuff with the wrappers, none were vegan but you could experiment. Some were like dumplings, "pies" and frying stuff. It is worth checking out at least for his technique, where just dampens the wrappers, which maybe will help with your rolling technique.

    I think Moms are the worlds biggest budget meal planners lol. It costs so much to feed more people! Which is obvious, but yeah, it doesn't kick in until it happens lol. I think most top billing budget bloggers tend to be Moms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your "cleaning out the pantry" meals look a lot more appetizing than mine. This is your best food post in quite while. Keep on de-cluttering. And don't forget to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rice paper rolls but mine are always messy. As long as they are tasty!
    You could maybe try rice paper bacon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to try the breakfast potatoes and salad combination sometime!
    And I'll second Susan's suggestion to try rice paper bacon; that's my favorite way to use rice paper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan and Julie beat me to it with the rice paper bacon suggestion. I've not made it but I have tried it and it was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete