Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Snow Days

Sunday night and Monday morning we had a pretty big snowstorm in SLC. Maybe the worst storm since I've lived here. It was brutal. Now we're left with freezing temperatures and a whole lot of snow on the ground. Being a pedestrian this makes life difficult. Plus, it seems that people who live in SLC just don't believe in shoveling. And crossing streets is a nightmare because the plows have come, and there are mountains of snow you have to climb over. It's been very anxiety inducing. I'm always scared I'm going to fall in the street, and the car coming will be texting or surfing the web, not see me and run me over.
This was my dinner Monday, the day of the storm. A spicy, peanut buttery red lentil and tofu stew! Lately I've been going heavier on the Garam Masala and lighter on the curry powder. This was so warming and cozy!
The next morning I needed some things so I ran to Winco which is around a fifteen or twenty minute walk, it took me forty five minutes each way because of the snow, ice and plow mountains!!!
I was checking out the tea aisle,which also happens to be the juice aisle, and this bright pink atrocity hit me in the face!! What makes me sad is how many people probably buy this thinking it's better for their children than some sugary drink. Surely at some point all the sugars, dyes and preservatives kind of cancel out any nutrition?
Another declutter meal! I had some shredded daiya in the freezer, along with a cooked sliced Beyond Sausage. I wanted to try and make a one pot pasta which I've been seeing for years now, but I don't trust gluten free pasta to give me good results. So I boiled the pasta separately, then added that plus some marinara, the sausage and the daiya and baked till warm and bubbly. This also was warm and cozy.
This is how I feel after being out and about in this weather. I just want to hide from everyone. Except I'd hide my tootsies too!






3 comments:

  1. Those V8 drinks drive me nuts just like the vitamin water. So much sugar, and sure it has some added vitamins, but like pennies worth. I don't even like bottled juices, too sweet and sugary, maybe they are find if they are used to as a little splash to sparkling water or something.

    And yeah, walking around during snow is scary. I hated when I walked to work during the winter because some people just NEVER shoveled their sidewalk, and yeah it was the suburb but there were MANY people who walked their dogs, ran, etc all winter and the snow would compact into ice. I had every intent to sue someone if I slipped and fell and hurt myself (it is worth noting these were rich neighborhoods, they probably could of just paid a person to shovel their walkways) When I was in the city, cars made me nervous that they would go too fast, and not break fast enough because of ice. Luckily the snow never was too high that I was afraid it would block me from view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had the weirdest winter here--I wish I could take some of your snow. We've yet to have a big snowstorm here at all this winter and I think last year we only had one. This is not normal for us and I like not having to deal with snow all winter but I do kind of miss it at the same time!

    It's been too long since I had a peanut butter stew. Yours looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Walking around in the snow sounds scary and cold. Not something I have ever had to deal with, but I know I would definitely fall on my butt about one zillion times because I am not graceful.
    We have V8 here, but it is just a veggie juice brand, no smoothies or anything like that. I wonder if it is the same V8.
    Your snow day food looks perfect and comforting and warm.
    I want to kiss those kitty toes!

    ReplyDelete