Saturday, September 14, 2019

Saturday Stuff

I have a bit of a random post today. Anyone who has been reading this blog for awhile knows that when it comes to potatoes, I always choose white potatoes over sweet. I don't recall ever eating sweet potatoes as a kid. I don't have a huge problem with the flavor, I have a problem with the texture. I find them to be more squash like. I've learned over the years that if I make a blended sweet potato soup I can do it. But I don't think you'll ever see me sitting down to a big old baked sweet potato. I just got chills thinking about it. Yikes.
Since I've been reading The Blue Zones Solution, I've been trying to switch up my diet a little bit, and that includes trying to get myself to eat more sweet potatoes. I bought some purple yams at Sprouts and so far they seem to have a little better texture. So far I've eaten a sweet potato or yam a day for the last three or four out of five days. I'm pretty dang proud. So, I've got some pictures of how I've been eating them.
This is my favorite way to eat sweet potatoes. Blended in a red lentil and sweet potato curry soup. With Jasmine rice and tofu croutons. Delicious!!!
This was my first time trying a purple yam. I kept it simple and just sliced it, added a little coconut oil, salt and pepper and roasted it. I dipped the slices in sweet chili sauce which is a delicious combination!!
This was breakfast one day. One slice yam and one sliced russet with a butter leaf and red pepper salad. I made a dressing with hummus and Dijon mustard thinned out with a little water. YUM!!
Regular potatoes will always be my first love no matter how many yams I try! These beauties are stuffed with refried beans, salsa, green onions and nooch. So good!
I saw these at Sprouts the other day. I love that Quorn seems to be offering more vegan options. These are unfortunately not gluten free so I can't try them, but they look tasty! And compare to a lot of other mock meats, Quorn is one of the least expensive.
Sprouts has a couple of vegan frozen meals which is pretty cool. And they're a bit cheaper than other meals. Someday I might try the Korean BBQ tofu!!
A new to me brand of coconut whip spotted at Trader Joe's!! I've never heard of this brand, but if I make an apple crisp this fall I might try this brand!!
And I spied Simple Truth organic oatmilk at Smith's! Simple Truth is Kroger/Smith's/ Fred Meyer organic store brand. So you can usually save a few pennies there.
Speaking of saving some pennies, how about two tubs of hummus for the price of one!! Private Selection is also a Kroger/Smith's/Fred Meyer store brand and their hummus is really, really good!!! I've got a fresh bag of rice cakes on stand-by!!
Here's some cute crossed Bubba feet. A rare moment of sleep on the couch. Or I should say a rare moment when he could have both eyes closed. I wish I could report that Kiki has calmed down, but unfortunately she has not. Le Sigh.










7 comments:

  1. What sweet, kissable little Bubba toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a sweet potato has a squash texture to you, maybe you aren't cooking it long enough? Try a sweet potato with vegan butter and a sprinkle or two of brown sugar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely cook them long enough. I don't like the texture of sweet potato fries even from a restaurant.
      I'm hoping I'll learn to like that texture. If I ever do learn to like them I'll try it that way!!

      Delete
  3. What wonderful makes at home and finds at the store(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sweet potato soup sounds great, and your stuffed potatoes look delicious as always!
    Bubba feet, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried feeding my toddler some simple roasted sweet potato and they were extra stringy and my son was just like "no, way" But he likes vegan "mac and cheese" made with the sweet potato so whatever lol

    ReplyDelete